favicon question

David

I've been noticing on my logfiles a lot of 404 errors caused by favicon.ico
missing. I've done the research so now know what the file is/does. However,
I have now got round to thinking that this particular error is probably not
really an issue, but in fact a very useful way of knowing what pages are
being bookmarked.

Any thoughts?

David

Dylan Parry

David wrote:

[favicons]
Any thoughts?

Some browsers download the favicon even when you haven't bookmarked and
display it in the URL field, so they don't really give very accurate
details on how many people have bookmarked your site.

On the other hand, some browsers will use your icon in the bookmarks list
to identify your link amongst the others.

It's really up to you whether you decide to use one or not :)