Favicon

Joel Shepherd

Els said:
Windows XP Home's 'tell the user what not to do' system?
Just pick any file on your pc, try and change the extension. A prompt
will show saying something like "changing the extension of this file
may leave the file unusable - do you still want to change it?" with a
'yes' and a 'no' button to choose.

Renaming won't affect the contents of the file at all, and certainly
won't destroy them. The Windows warning is a reflection of the fact that
virtually all Windows applications rely on the file extension to
determine how to handle the file: how to open it, how to embed it, etc.
If you change the file extension, the risk is that Windows won't be able
to figure out on its own how to work with the file. And, it may make it
a little more difficult to open the file from within an application, as
most applications default to showing you just those files that it knows
how to handle ... as determined by the extension.

But renaming the file won't hurt the file contents. All that gets
destroyed is the old name.

Don

On 04 May 2005 Joel Shepherd wrote in alt.html
Renaming won't affect the contents of the file at all, and certainly
won't destroy them.

It will if the person changing the extention is a blonde.

Els

Joel said:
Renaming won't affect the contents of the file at all, and certainly
won't destroy them. The Windows warning is a reflection of the fact that
virtually all Windows applications rely on the file extension to
determine how to handle the file: how to open it, how to embed it, etc.
If you change the file extension, the risk is that Windows won't be able
to figure out on its own how to work with the file. And, it may make it
a little more difficult to open the file from within an application, as
most applications default to showing you just those files that it knows
how to handle ... as determined by the extension.

But renaming the file won't hurt the file contents. All that gets
destroyed is the old name.

Thanks, good to know :)

Els

Don said:
Windows XP Home's 'tell the user what not to do' system?
Just pick any file on your pc, try and change the extension. A prompt
will show saying something like "changing the extension of this file
may leave the file unusable - do you still want to change it?" with a
'yes' and a 'no' button to choose.

And which button do you choose?[/QUOTE]

Usually 'yes', cause I do it on purpose. Log reports for instance,
they unzip as locusmeus.com files, and I change them to log.txt to be
able to read them :)
Sometimes I choose 'no', like when I've accidentally mistyped the
extension on altering a filename.

Blinky the Shark

Don said:
They have implanted it. If they push the button, I...well, you get
the picture...
[/QUOTE]
Itty bitty bits of fish food.

Of course, except for the itty bitty, that's what eventually becomes of
sharks anyway.