    know how to reset my cache (whereever its stored).

    Thanks

    Antony

    UKuser, May 31, 2005

  2. UKuser

    Els Guest

    UKuser wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
    > updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
    > site can view the new icon.
    >
    > I have:
    > 1) Cleared my web history
    > 2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
    > 3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute
    >
    > IE won't display the icon, but as Firefox would, I am interested to
    > know how to reset my cache (whereever its stored).

    So, your question really is "how do I empty Firefox' cache?" ?
    In the menubar:
    tools > options > privacy > cache -> press "clear".

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, May 31, 2005

  3. UKuser

    Chris Hope Guest

    UKuser wrote:

    > I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
    > updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
    > site can view the new icon.
    >
    > I have:
    > 1) Cleared my web history
    > 2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
    > 3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute
    >
    > IE won't display the icon,

    IE will only display the icon after you've added it to your favorites.

    Chris Hope, May 31, 2005
  4. UKuser

    UKuser Guest

    Thanks for that. I was getting confused (again) with my history and
    temporary internet files.

    Antony

    UKuser, May 31, 2005
  5. Chris Hope wrote:

    > UKuser wrote:
    >
    >> I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
    >> updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
    >> site can view the new icon.
    >>
    >> I have:
    >> 1) Cleared my web history
    >> 2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
    >> 3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute
    >>
    >> IE won't display the icon,

    > IE will only display the icon after you've added it to your favorites.

    Same with Firefox IIRC. It would be very expensive to periodically scan all
    Web sites in the bookmarks and refresh their favicon.ico. Imagine what this
    would do to usage log. Even worse than access to RSS feeds...

    >> but as Firefox would, I am interested to
    >> know how to reset my cache (whereever its stored).

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, May 31, 2005
  6. UKuser

    Chris Hope Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> UKuser wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have created a favicon and it works fine in Firefox. However I
    >>> updated it, reuploaded it, and now only users who havent been to the
    >>> site can view the new icon.
    >>>
    >>> I have:
    >>> 1) Cleared my web history
    >>> 2) Tried dragging the icons off the toolbar to refresh it
    >>> 3) Am using the <Link rel> attribute
    >>>
    >>> IE won't display the icon,

    >> IE will only display the icon after you've added it to your
    >> favorites.

    > Same with Firefox IIRC. It would be very expensive to periodically
    > scan all Web sites in the bookmarks and refresh their favicon.ico.
    > Imagine what this would do to usage log. Even worse than access to RSS
    > feeds...

    Firefox displays the icon when you go to the site. IE will only display
    the icon when you bookmark it. I've watched Apache logs when testing
    stuff and I've seen Firefox request the favicon file on every page
    request.

    Chris Hope, May 31, 2005