    Java foundation (like CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter).

    Thanks,
    James

    jwren, Oct 25, 2007

  2. jwren wrote:
    >Would anyone mind recommending their favorite books ..

    Do you mean books, specifically? There are many good
    web based (and downloadable*) learning resources.

    >..for learning
    >Java? I am an expert at C# and need a low level book to patch up my
    >Java foundation (like CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter).

    Two Java book review sites (from people literate
    in Java, and passionate about books)
    <http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html>
    <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/technical-book-recommendations/>

    * A common recommendation is 'Thinking in Java' by
    Bruce Eckel, though that may be of more use to people
    who have not had OO experience before. I mention it
    specfically because it is freely downloadable.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 25, 2007

  3. jwren

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > jwren wrote:
    >> Would anyone mind recommending their favorite books ..

    > Do you mean books, specifically? There are many good
    > web based (and downloadable*) learning resources.
    >
    >> ..for learning
    >> Java? I am an expert at C# and need a low level book to patch up my
    >> Java foundation (like CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter).

    > Two Java book review sites (from people literate
    > in Java, and passionate about books)
    > <http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html>
    > <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/technical-book-recommendations/>

    Thanks for the plug :)

    Daniel Pitts, Oct 25, 2007
  4. jwren

    James Guest

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 04:06:19 +0000, jwren wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Would anyone mind recommending their favorite books for learning Java?
    > I am an expert at C# and need a low level book to patch up my Java
    > foundation (like CLR Via C# by Jeffrey Richter).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

    I absolutely recommend Murach's books. I purchased Murach's Java SE 6
    (Training and Reference) from a local bookstore and have already written
    a GUI program and corresponding applet of my own design using Netbeans
    5.5 and now Netbeans 6.0.

    I have even contacted the publisher regarding a few things and received
    very prompt and satisfactory replies.
    --
    James
    *Note: Remove every other letter for correct email address

    James, Dec 25, 2007