favorite python web development tool?

mike

hi all -

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.

given my background, webware+cheetah feels comfortingly familiar, and
i'm leaning toward it. before i dive in, though, i'm wondering what you
experienced users think about it, compared to the other tools that are
out there. eg, does the python environment have strengths that are
better exploited with something other than a servlet-like model?

thanks for your thoughts!

Shalabh Chaturvedi

mike said:
hi all -

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.

given my background, webware+cheetah feels comfortingly familiar, and
i'm leaning toward it. before i dive in, though, i'm wondering what you
experienced users think about it, compared to the other tools that are
out there. eg, does the python environment have strengths that are
better exploited with something other than a servlet-like model?

thanks for your thoughts!

My favourite is Quixote. Although I haven't used Webware much one thing
I can say is that Quixote is easier to grasp than Webware. It has simple
and powerful concepts and as a Python programmer I found it quite
intuitive. I think Quixote PTL (Python Template Language) is also the
'right way' to do web templates. With PTL, you reuse a lot of Python
knowledge instead of having to learn yet another template language.

Links:
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/
http://www.quixote.ca/

Orlando Vazquez

mike said:
hi all -

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.

I've found mod_python + ZopePageTemplates (standalone) to be superb
solution to web application development. ZPT feels like a very natural
and maintainable way to separate business logic from presentation. Since
I've started using these two technologies, I've found my productivity
greatly increased.

http://www.modpython.org
http://zpt.sourceforge.net/

Have fun and take care ;-)

Michael

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity
I've found mod_python + ZopePageTemplates (standalone) to be superb
solution to web application development. ZPT feels like a very natural
and maintainable way to separate business logic from presentation. Since
I've started using these two technologies, I've found my productivity
greatly increased.

I like using mod_python and XML-RPC. Develop the logic as a backend and
then use a frontend to talk to that backend and to do whatever
input/output processing needs to be done to make it all into a web app.
I like that the frontend can actually be written in other languages as
the situation requires and that in fact it doesn't even need to be a web
app at all. I've written MPXMLRPC backends with PHP web-based frontends
and wxPython frontends both. Pretty sweet.

Bruno Desthuilliers

mike said:
hi all -

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.

given my background, webware+cheetah feels comfortingly familiar, and
i'm leaning toward it. before i dive in, though, i'm wondering what you
experienced users think about it, compared to the other tools that are
out there. eg, does the python environment have strengths that are
better exploited with something other than a servlet-like model?

Well, I'm currently writing my first app with Zope, and I find it a
wonderful (but alas very badly documented) tool, at least compared with
PHP. I wrote in 3 days what would have took me *at least* twice that
time with a PHP based solution.

I can't tell you much about other python-based solutions since I did not
try them.

5

5100-46470588-0001

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity
template background. i'm looking for a good python web development
tool, and hope to find some suggestions here.

ZOPE

Klaus Schilling

Rene Pijlman

mike:
i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.

Webware hasn't been mentioned yet :)

Gabriel Cooper

mike said:
[...]
i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and hope to find
some suggestions here.
[...]

I have used Albatross (
http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross ) to be a fast and
easy to learn, powerful, and flexible toolkit. Used on a LAPM (linux,
apache, python, mysql) box. MVC architecture is promoted and the
view-side tags are extremely simple, most are easy enough for a designer
to grok in one telling and run with later on. Which says a lot, IMHO.
Other than Albatross, I also looked at Quixote, and it seemed fairly
swell, too. ;)

Gabriel.

Marcin Jurczuk

hi all -

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.
I'm using SkunkWeb (skunkweb,sourceforge.net).
realy simple framework and very very fast :)

Thomas Guettler

Am Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:43:22 -0400 schrieb mike:
hi all -

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.

given my background, webware+cheetah feels comfortingly familiar, and
i'm leaning toward it. before i dive in, though, i'm wondering what you
experienced users think about it, compared to the other tools that are
out there. eg, does the python environment have strengths that are
better exploited with something other than a servlet-like model?

Hi,

I use quixote (without PTL and Form library) and ZODB.

Many don't like it, but I do:

def foo(self, request):
ret=[]
ret.append(self.header())
ret.append('<b>Hello World!</b>')
ret.append(self.footer())
return ''.join(ret)

100% Python

with the filter_output hook, every page
is checked with html-tidy during development.

Uncaught exceptions on the production
site get to me by email as soon as they occur.

A nightly unittest checks for errors.

HTH,
Thomas

Jon Perez

mike said:
hi all -

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.

given my background, webware+cheetah feels comfortingly familiar, and
i'm leaning toward it. before i dive in, though, i'm wondering what you
experienced users think about it, compared to the other tools that are
out there. eg, does the python environment have strengths that are
better exploited with something other than a servlet-like model?

For those coming from a PHP/ASP/JSP background, Spyce will be the
most readily familiar and it rocks for those who use this approach.

I've never had a use for a templating solution but Spyce
is also supposed to support Cheetah well.

Anthony_Barker

given my background, webware+cheetah feels comfortingly familiar, and
i'm leaning toward it. before i dive in, though, i'm wondering what you
experienced users think about it, compared to the other tools that are
out there. eg, does the python environment have strengths that are
better exploited with something other than a servlet-like model?

Have a look at mod_python 3.1 - I've found performance very good. I
benchmarked it against a commercial oversized J2EE app server and for
non complex app found it faster. It includes session handling and a
basic template system. However, you can use whichever templating
language you like with it. Cheetah is nice

Also have a look at SQL Object and db_rows
http://www.sqlobject.org/

SQL object is worth checking out -SQLObject is an object-relational
mapper. It allows you to translate RDBMS table rows into Python
objects, and manipulate those objects to transparently manipulate the
database.
It allows you to use something like"Giraffe", "mammal")

a simpler alternative - db_rows
http://opensource.theopalgroup.com/

(http://xminc.com/linux/db_rows.txt)

Anthony
http://xminc.com/linux/

Paul Boddie

mike said:
hi all -

i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
background. i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
hope to find some suggestions here.

Well, <insert screaming advocacy here>. Alternatively, you could take
a look at the WebProgramming section [1] of the PythonInfo Wiki [2].
And if other respondents contributed their opinions to that resource,
we wouldn't necessarily have the situation where people regard that
resource as confusing whilst giving a parade of the frameworks every
time someone asks how to do CGI with Python.
given my background, webware+cheetah feels comfortingly familiar, and
i'm leaning toward it. before i dive in, though, i'm wondering what you
experienced users think about it, compared to the other tools that are
out there. eg, does the python environment have strengths that are
better exploited with something other than a servlet-like model?

I've heard that Webware plus Cheetah is a fairly equivalent
combination to Java Servlet API plus Velocity, at least in style. I
think it's widely accepted that if you're doing content management,
you might be better served with something like Zope or a derivative
such as Plone.

If you look at the OriginalWebProgrammingClassification [3] on the
Wiki, you'll get a better impression of what is available, in my
opinion. That classification, combined with the
PresentationTechnologies [4] page (now mysteriously delinked in some
"tidying up" activity), is more concise and doesn't try and blind you
with pseudo-science in the way that the main classification does:
"Variable Insertion-Replacement Templating Applications
(Pre-processors)" anyone?

Paul

[1] http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming
[2] http://www.python.org/moin/FrontPage
[3] http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/OriginalWebProgrammingClassification
[4] http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PresentationTechnologies

Thomas Guettler

Am Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:22:43 -0700 schrieb Anthony_Barker:
Have a look at mod_python 3.1 - I've found performance very good. I
benchmarked it against a commercial oversized J2EE app server and for
non complex app found it faster. It includes session handling and a
basic template system. However, you can use whichever templating
language you like with it. Cheetah is nice

Hi Anthony,

Did you compare it to SCGI, too?
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/scgi/

Thomas

Anthony_Barker

Have a look at mod_python 3.1 - I've found performance very good. I
Hi Anthony,

Did you compare it to SCGI, too?
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/scgi/

Thomas

No didn't test scgi. I mod_python found it slightly faster than
mod_php and hugely faster than zope and lotus domino. Didn't test
scgi.

Prefer to stick to the official apache project thinking that it will
be around longer. scgi does less than mod_python, so it may be quicker
- you should test it out.