favorites internet shortcut

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Aamir Ghanchi, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
    particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
    of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.

    For example if the user is on the following url
    www.abc.com/sub1/sub2/Details.htm

    and tries to bookmark this page then instead of the above url the
    following main url gets saved
    www.abc.com/index.htm

    I was wondering if one of the meta tags provide this feature.

    TIA

    ********** Rational ************
    This is for an internal web-application used
    by our staff only. They get to the first page (the actual page that
    needs to be bookmarked) by typing in the link in the address-bar or by
    clicking on the url someplace. But as soon as this page loads the
    Windows domain login box pops-up asking them to enter username and
    password. At this point they cannot bookmark this page since the
    browsers menu/buttons for this purpose are disabled (while the popup
    window is on). As soon as they enter the credentials the page is
    resubmitted to a new action page where the rest of the processing is
    done. finally when the browser buttons/menu for bookmark is available
    it is no longer the original page that needed to be bookmarked.

    Aamir Ghanchi, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Aamir Ghanchi

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    (Aamir Ghanchi) wrote:

    > Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
    > particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
    > of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.

    There is nothing in HTML that can force anything. Assume your visitor
    knows how to handle a webbrowser, or do some explanation to help him on
    his way. Don't dumb him down by doing the job for him because you cannot.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Aamir Ghanchi wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
    > particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
    > of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.
    >
    > For example if the user is on the following url
    > www.abc.com/sub1/sub2/Details.htm
    >
    > and tries to bookmark this page then instead of the above url the
    > following main url gets saved
    > www.abc.com/index.htm
    >
    > I was wondering if one of the meta tags provide this feature.
    >
    > TIA

    "No" is the simple answer.

    --
    Peter
    nativespace - hosting & domain names

    Peter - nativespace hosting, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Aamir Ghanchi

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Aamir Ghanchi wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
    > particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
    > of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.
    >
    > For example if the user is on the following url
    > www.abc.com/sub1/sub2/Details.htm
    >
    > and tries to bookmark this page then instead of the above url the
    > following main url gets saved
    > www.abc.com/index.htm

    Dangerous;

    user: "I'll bookmark the Cuddly Bunny web site (www.bunny.com)"

    webserver: "sure" > adds www.somepornsite.com to bookmark list

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Aamir Ghanchi

    neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, SpaceGirl quothed:

    > Aamir Ghanchi wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Just wanted to know if there is any provision in HTML through which a
    > > particular url is forced to be added to the Favoriates/Bookmark folder
    > > of the browser when a user bookmarks a page.
    > >
    > > For example if the user is on the following url
    > > www.abc.com/sub1/sub2/Details.htm
    > >
    > > and tries to bookmark this page then instead of the above url the
    > > following main url gets saved
    > > www.abc.com/index.htm

    > Dangerous;
    >
    > user: "I'll bookmark the Cuddly Bunny web site (www.bunny.com)"
    >
    > webserver: "sure" > adds www.somepornsite.com to bookmark list

    Well they could both be satisfied and bookmark the Playboy Club site.

    --
    Neredbojias

    neredbojias, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Aamir Ghanchi

    SpaceGirl Guest

    neredbojias wrote:
    > Without quill or qualm, SpaceGirl quothed:

    >>Dangerous;
    >>
    >>user: "I'll bookmark the Cuddly Bunny web site (www.bunny.com)"
    >>
    >>webserver: "sure" > adds www.somepornsite.com to bookmark list

    > Well they could both be satisfied and bookmark the Playboy Club site.

    lol. bad example.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 2, 2004