favourite editor

azrael

Since i'm new on this forum, and first time meeting a python comunity,
i wanted to ask you for your python editors.

Im looking for some good python editor, with integrated run function,
without having to set it up manualy like komodo.
I found the pyscripter, and it has all i need, but it's unsatble.
bloated. it crashes when i close an yplication window run by python
from pyscripter. please. tell me a good one with buil in run (<-very
important) and nice gui. if possible to suport projects, code
highlighting, code completition, class browser, python comand line
(>>>), traceback.

I didn't take a look on vista (and i dont want to), but i hope they
improved the notepad.

Stef Mientki

azrael said:
Since i'm new on this forum, and first time meeting a python comunity,
i wanted to ask you for your python editors.

Im looking for some good python editor, with integrated run function,
without having to set it up manualy like komodo.
I found the pyscripter, and it has all i need, but it's unsatble.
bloated.
No it is very stable,
but some programs should be started differently,
read the manual !

it crashes when i close an yplication window run by python
from pyscripter. please. tell me a good one with buil in run (<-very
important) and nice gui. if possible to suport projects, code
highlighting, code completition, class browser, python comand line
(>>>), traceback.
You could try SPE,
but that's really unstable,
and no help manual to read ;-)

and for the rest the answer must certainly be in the still running thread
"Best Free and Open Source Python IDE"

cheers,
Stef Mientki

Szabolcs Nagy

azrael said:
Since i'm new on this forum, and first time meeting a python comunity,
i wanted to ask you for your python editors.

Im looking for some good python editor, with integrated run function,
without having to set it up manualy like komodo.
I found the pyscripter, and it has all i need, but it's unsatble.
bloated. it crashes when i close an yplication window run by python
from pyscripter. please. tell me a good one with buil in run (<-very
important) and nice gui. if possible to suport projects, code
highlighting, code completition, class browser, python comand line
(>>>), traceback.

I didn't take a look on vista (and i dont want to), but i hope they
improved the notepad.

*sigh*
this question arises at least three times a week on this group

you can use the googlegroups search function:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...on&q=python+editor+ide&qt_g=Search+this+group

also use the python wiki:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

Dick Moores

Since i'm new on this forum, and first time meeting a python comunity,
i wanted to ask you for your python editors.

Im looking for some good python editor, with integrated run function,
without having to set it up manualy like komodo.
I found the pyscripter, and it has all i need, but it's unsatble.
bloated. it crashes when i close an yplication window run by python
from pyscripter. please. tell me a good one with buil in run (<-very
important) and nice gui. if possible to suport projects, code
highlighting, code completition, class browser, python comand line
(>>>), traceback.

UliPad. <http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/UliPad>

Dick Moores

Larry Bates

azrael said:
Since i'm new on this forum, and first time meeting a python comunity,
i wanted to ask you for your python editors.

Im looking for some good python editor, with integrated run function,
without having to set it up manualy like komodo.
I found the pyscripter, and it has all i need, but it's unsatble.
bloated. it crashes when i close an yplication window run by python
from pyscripter. please. tell me a good one with buil in run (<-very
important) and nice gui. if possible to suport projects, code
highlighting, code completition, class browser, python comand line
(>>>), traceback.

I didn't take a look on vista (and i dont want to), but i hope they
improved the notepad.

I use pyscripter as my primary editor and have NEVER had it crash
or do anything that could be considered "unstable". It has best
GUI of any Windows editor I've seen. I have to admit that I tend
to run my programs from a console window because it forces a clean
load of the program (no runtime environment "leftovers") and if
I'm doing wxPython or other GUI apps, they almost always interfere
in some way with the editors (same was true for ActiveState). Maybe
you could give that a try.

-Larry

azrael

I expirienced some big craches. tra running some aplication vith using
Vpython. when you close the vpython window, pyscripter also crashes.
sometimes im writing some code and suddenly get about 300 error
messages without running anything. I like pyscripter, but sometimes it
drives me crazy

Gabriel Genellina

I expirienced some big craches. tra running some aplication vith using
Vpython. when you close the vpython window, pyscripter also crashes.
sometimes im writing some code and suddenly get about 300 error
messages without running anything. I like pyscripter, but sometimes it
drives me crazy

But why blame PyScripter when it might be a problem in VPython as well?

Gabriel Genellina

azrael said:
I expirienced some big craches. tra running some aplication vith using
Vpython. when you close the vpython window, pyscripter also crashes.
sometimes im writing some code and suddenly get about 300 error
messages without running anything. I like pyscripter, but sometimes it
drives me crazy
did you read the help file:
if you use a GUI platform (e.g. tknter, wxpython etc.). As the help file says under the topic
"known issues" you should not run or debug such scripts internally. Instead use the
Run, External Run command.

and form the author of PyScripter jan-2007:
I hope that such problems will be resolved when I release the remote debugging facility, which
should happen quite soon.

cheers,
Stef Mientki

aspineux

I'm very happy with eclipse and its python module called pydev.

It's a little slow because it parse continuously the code (P4 >2.0Ghz
required), but give
nice realtime info by underlining syntax error or unknown variable
(very very useful when
miss spelling a variable or a function :)