Fax via ISDN-Card, and scanning with multifunctional device

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by upro, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. upro

    upro Guest

    Hi there!

    Some 10 days ago I convinced a Windows hardliner to switch to Linux
    completely!

    Basically he was pissed off by virusses (I think he got SOBIG or
    something similar). I got him to by a pack of SuSE 8.1 and installed
    it for him.

    I myself do use Slackware, since years, and I love it because of ots
    ease, clarity and because of the absence of anything line linuxconf or
    yast, tools which INHO never really do what they should. linuxconf was
    real crap until I stopped to use RedHat at the company (7.0
    then). yast/yast2 seems better, and anyway there's no other way for a
    newbie who doesn't want to get into linux computing, but who wants to
    remain a plain "user". So I am not really proficient in the SuSE
    way...

    Well, so far everything works for him: Banking, printing, DSL
    internet, e-mail, DVD, TV etc. but he needs two more things: fax and
    scanning.

    Now this is a prob for me, because he has a somewhat strange config:

    He has no modem, only an ISDN card, and he uses a HP OfficeJet (I
    think the model is K60 or similar, I don't have it in fromt of me. DId
    I mention my froend is some 800 km away?)

    I installed efax, and he has also hylafax. I have no clue how to get
    this ISDN card to send faxes. No ISDN at my place, no DSL, no
    multifunctional device etc.

    I also do have no clue about how to get scaning to work with his
    OfficeJet. Yast searches for USB os SCSI scanners, but his device is
    connected via parport, as it is a parallel printer...

    Any help in getting his fax and scanner to work is greatly
    appreciated!

    Hope to hear from ya!

    --
    Michael

    r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
    ab fcnz cyrnfr

    upro, Sep 5, 2003

  2. upro

    upro Guest

    Re: SORRY! Fax via ISDN-Card, and scanning with multifunctionaldevice

    SORRY SORRY, ACCIDENTALLY POSTED TO THE WRONG GROUP!

    upro, Sep 5, 2003