fcntl and FCNTL

Omid Fatemi

I followed discussion in the group about this problem:

ImportError: No module named fcntl

I found out there are two modules:
FCNTL
fcntl
the first one is obsolete and shouldn't be used.
But the second one is usable.

Unfortunately, there is no fcntl in my python installation (Python
2.3.3, I got it from python site for Windows). There is FCNTL.py which
is just a warning message and some imports.

Am I missing some files here. How could I have access to fcntl module.

Any help?

Thank you in advance.
Regards;

Peter Hansen

Omid said:
I followed discussion in the group about this problem:

ImportError: No module named fcntl

I found out there are two modules:
FCNTL
fcntl
the first one is obsolete and shouldn't be used.
But the second one is usable.

Unfortunately, there is no fcntl in my python installation (Python
2.3.3, I got it from python site for Windows). There is FCNTL.py which
is just a warning message and some imports.

Am I missing some files here. How could I have access to fcntl module.

From the docs in http://docs.python.org/lib/module-fcntl.html

"""Availability: Unix."""

I don't know if there's an alternative. Presumably the archives
for the list would answer this clearly, since as you say others
have asked the question before.

-Peter

Omid Fatemi

Dear Peter;
thank you for your response.
Does this mean that in Windows I can't use fcntl module.
If yes, what functions do you suggest to use instead of fcntl funtions.

I could see the funtions in posixfile are using fcntl functions.
Do you have any alternative for posixfile module?

Regards;

Diez B. Roggisch

Does this mean that in Windows I can't use fcntl module.
If yes, what functions do you suggest to use instead of fcntl funtions.
I could see the funtions in posixfile are using fcntl functions.
Do you have any alternative for posixfile module?

I don't use windows, so I can't help here - but what might give the
windows-gurus out there a hint how to help you would be to say what you
actually want to achieve - then they might know how to do that with
windows.

Steve Holden

Omid said:
Dear Peter;
thank you for your response.
Does this mean that in Windows I can't use fcntl module.
If yes, what functions do you suggest to use instead of fcntl funtions.
What are you using for documentation? In my "Global Module Index" it
says (in the module list):
fcntl (Unix)
posixfile (Unix)
I could see the funtions in posixfile are using fcntl functions.
Do you have any alternative for posixfile module?
I think you can take this as an indication without reading the source
that the Python modules are tied pretty closely to the Unix
functionality they provide, and therefore won;t be available on Windows
any time soon.

regards
Steve