fcntl and FCNTL

Discussion in 'Python' started by Omid Fatemi, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. Omid Fatemi

    Omid Fatemi Guest

    I followed discussion in the group about this problem:

    ImportError: No module named fcntl

    I found out there are two modules:
    FCNTL
    fcntl
    the first one is obsolete and shouldn't be used.
    But the second one is usable.

    Unfortunately, there is no fcntl in my python installation (Python
    2.3.3, I got it from python site for Windows). There is FCNTL.py which
    is just a warning message and some imports.

    Am I missing some files here. How could I have access to fcntl module.

    Any help?

    Thank you in advance.
    Regards;
    Omid Fatemi, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Omid Fatemi

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Omid Fatemi wrote:
    > I followed discussion in the group about this problem:
    >
    > ImportError: No module named fcntl
    >
    > I found out there are two modules:
    > FCNTL
    > fcntl
    > the first one is obsolete and shouldn't be used.
    > But the second one is usable.
    >
    > Unfortunately, there is no fcntl in my python installation (Python
    > 2.3.3, I got it from python site for Windows). There is FCNTL.py which
    > is just a warning message and some imports.
    >
    > Am I missing some files here. How could I have access to fcntl module.

    From the docs in http://docs.python.org/lib/module-fcntl.html

    """Availability: Unix."""

    I don't know if there's an alternative. Presumably the archives
    for the list would answer this clearly, since as you say others
    have asked the question before.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Omid Fatemi

    Omid Fatemi Guest

    Dear Peter;
    thank you for your response.
    Does this mean that in Windows I can't use fcntl module.
    If yes, what functions do you suggest to use instead of fcntl funtions.

    I could see the funtions in posixfile are using fcntl functions.
    Do you have any alternative for posixfile module?

    Regards;

    Omid Fatemi, Oct 31, 2004
  4. > Does this mean that in Windows I can't use fcntl module.
    > If yes, what functions do you suggest to use instead of fcntl funtions.
    > I could see the funtions in posixfile are using fcntl functions.
    > Do you have any alternative for posixfile module?

    I don't use windows, so I can't help here - but what might give the
    windows-gurus out there a hint how to help you would be to say what you
    actually want to achieve - then they might know how to do that with
    windows.
    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch
    Diez B. Roggisch, Nov 1, 2004
  5. Omid Fatemi

    Steve Holden Guest

    Omid Fatemi wrote:

    > Dear Peter;
    > thank you for your response.
    > Does this mean that in Windows I can't use fcntl module.
    > If yes, what functions do you suggest to use instead of fcntl funtions.

    What are you using for documentation? In my "Global Module Index" it
    says (in the module list):
    fcntl (Unix)
    posixfile (Unix)
    > I could see the funtions in posixfile are using fcntl functions.
    > Do you have any alternative for posixfile module?

    I think you can take this as an indication without reading the source
    that the Python modules are tied pretty closely to the Unix
    functionality they provide, and therefore won;t be available on Windows
    any time soon.

    regards
    Steve
    --