Fedora Core 1 Linux and Python/Tk

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Python/Tk (Tkinter) does not work under Fedora Core 1; the problem
    seems to be, that the Python RPM package uses a Python which was
    compiled with the UCS4 option, whereas Tcl/Tk uses UCS2.

    My solution: I got the Python 2.2 (FC1 uses Python 2.2) and Tkinter
    RPM packages from python.org and updated Python and Tkinter with
    those packages (rpm -U ...). (Luckily, the version numbers of the
    python.org RPMs are higher than those from the FC1 distribution.)

    (I submitted a bug report to the FC1 team (Bugzilla).)

    Has someone another solution?

    (I do not want to install a separate Python 2.3; e.g. bindings for
    libxml2/libxslt are not available as RPM Packages for Python 2.3,
    problems with Tkinter where reported etc. etc. IMHO, Python develops
    too fast at the moment.)

    Remark: Actually, I think it is quite bad that the 'tkinter' RPM
    package is 'hidden' on CD #3 of the FC1 distribution (and depends
    on some other packages ('itcl', 'tix'), too, which are not installed
    by default. Whenever Python gets installed on a system, I would
    expect that Tkinter is available on that system, too (as long as
    Tk is the de facto GUI standard for Python).

    --
    mailto: (where: foo = com)

    Thomas, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Thomas

    Rob Renaud Guest

    > Whenever Python gets installed on a system, I would
    > expect that Tkinter is available on that system, too (as long as
    > Tk is the de facto GUI standard for Python).

    As a Python Programmer, I agree.

    As someone who might want to run a server with Python but without X, I
    disagree.

    .... and as someone who would rather support a real community
    distrobution like Debian, I am indifferent.

    Rob Renaud, Nov 19, 2003