Feedback desired on reworked ch 1 progr. intro (now Python 3.x, Windows)

Alf P. Steinbach

Hi all!

After my earlier feedback request a lot of you responded with constructive
criticism and suggestions.

As a result of that I've changed the text to be based on *Python 3.x* instead of
2.6+, and chapter 1 "Getting started" has grown from 9 pages to a whopping 11 pages!

I would particularly like to thank the following persons (although of course I
don't know whether any of them would recommend the old text, or the new text!
:) ), because they directly caused changes of the text:

Chris Rebert, in [comp.lang.python]
Ch 1
"all batteries included" -> "batteries included"
"OS/X" -> "Mac OS X" (with a space, not a slash)
"implementation" -> "distribution"

Eric Brunel, in [comp.lang.python]
Ch 1
static type checking discussion yielding wrong impression

(e-mail address removed), in [comp.lang.python]
Ch 1
Unclear that Windows subsystems are not something to do with Python.

Ethan Furman, in private communication
Ch 1
Pointed out the renaming 2.6 "Tkinter" -> 3.x "tkinter"

Jon Clements, in [comp.lang.python]
General
Info about Python 3.x that let me switch to 3.x

Plus, the person who suggested that I should mention the PSPad editor, but I
forgot to note who that was (sorry).

I hope this new version of ch 1 is, well, better, addresses some of the concerns
raised? <g>

<url: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ProgrammingBookP3>
Formats: PDF, text

Now starting on ch 2, which with Python 3.x should become a lot cleaner...

Cheers,

- Alf

Alf P. Steinbach

* Rhodri James:
Before we start, can I just say that I find Google Docs loathsome?

Section 1.1 needs serious work.

Could you please expand on that?

It is a hint.

Byt it doesn't leave me with much to go on regarding what you mean.

You have a very assertive writing style
and a lot of things that you definitively state are at best debatable.
If I'd picked that up in a shop and browsed that opening, I'd put the
book down and walk away; essentially you're calling your accuracy into
question before you've even said anything about programming.

Could you please expand on this also? Sort of, more concrete?

Cheers & thanks,

- Alf