Feedback needed

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Matti Kiviharju, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. Matti Kiviharju, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Matti Kiviharju wrote:
    > http://www.technologycommunity.com/
    >
    > Feedback needed from layout and design:
    >
    > Sorry abot that it is in finnish.

    Pu... Sorry, being completely honest here,but the design, like the
    code, is way too complicated. And fix the code.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Matti Kiviharju

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Matti Kiviharju <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.technologycommunity.com/
    >
    >Feedback needed from layout and design:

    alt.html.critique or comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design would
    perhaps be better suited to discussing the layout and design.

    From an HTML perspective:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.technologycommunity.com/site/phpBB2/index.php

    And why Transitional for a new site? Or have you just got around to
    converting a pre-HTML 4 page?

    and for the CSS:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/.../site/phpBB2/index.php&warning=1&profile=css2
    The error is a bit hard to work out from the message unless you
    already know that @import must go at the start of any CSS not at the
    end. And why is the CSS all in the HTML? It would be a lot more
    efficient to have it in a separate file.

    Horizontal scrolling starts at a window width of 960px which is
    probably too high.

    Looks much better with JavaScript disabled (no advertising, but shame
    there's still a gap on the right where it would be).

    What's with all the alt="e" and alt="tb" ? How do they help a user who
    can't see your images?

    Possibly most importantly you've used px for font sizes which means
    that IE users can't resize your text without delving into the
    configuration options and disabling all font sizing.

    Okay that's probably enoug to keep you busy for a while.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jan 27, 2005
  4. Matti Kiviharju wrote:
    > http://www.technologycommunity.com/
    >
    > Feedback needed from layout and design:

    Why is there a large blue empty margin (about 5cm wide) to the left?

    It will not fit on my 800x600 monitor. Horizontal scrollbar makes
    reading difficult. Use a fluid design.

    Put your CSS in an external file, and do not include it in every page.
    This way you only need to update one file to change every page.

    Investigate using CSS and <div>'s for column placement, instead of tables.

    I notice you have a link to the W3C validator on your links page. But
    your site fails validation. There are some CSS errors as well.

    Win2K, Firefox 1.0.

    > Sorry abot that it is in finnish.

    I don't read Finnish, so can't comment on the content.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 27, 2005
  5. Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 27, 2005
  6. Thanks for the good feed back, HTML errors comes from banners, and if I
    don't but baners to my site then there is no errors.

    CSS is unchanged from phpBB2 forum software.

    I can fix these problems by fixing banner codes and fixing the CSS.

    Matti Kiviharju, Jan 27, 2005
  7. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    >

    >>alt.html.critique or comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design would
    >>perhaps be better suited to discussing the layout and design.

    > Or sfnet.viestinta.www.palaute, a Finnish group, where the guy asked for
    > feedback, got it, and ignored it. I don't expect you'll have much better
    > chances of explaining the basics to him.

    Yes, you're right, forgive me I didn't know that alt.html.critique and
    meaby the finnish news is beter for this.

    http://www.technologycommunity.com/
    Matti Kiviharju, Jan 27, 2005
  8. Conversation continues in other alt.html.critigue
    Matti Kiviharju, Jan 27, 2005