feedback needed

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan said:
Careful "al" that is "dorayme", capitalization of monikers is very
important to Martians. One should not offend.

There are ways to properly quote on GG, someone here has instructions,
maybe Blinky...

I've *seen* the instructions (it's no more involved than "go here and
check this box"), but since I don't read GG posts, they're
not of any interest to me, so I don't remember them.

Blinky the Shark

dorayme said:
I don't think it is so hard on Google to quote. If I recall, I
think Els pointed out ages ago that you need to click on Options.
Blinkey (mentioned by JL) is horrible on Google so don't seek his
advice, he knows many things but hates Google with an intense
passion (which I secretly admire) and so is very biased.

See my response to Jonathan. I've seen the directions for both proper
quoting and proper reply placement for GG, but since I don't see GG
posts or wish to encourage GG's use, I have not made any effort to
remember them.

dorayme

I don't think it is so hard on Google to quote. If I recall, I
think Els pointed out ages ago that you need to click on Options.
Blinkey ...

See my response to Jonathan. I've seen the directions for both proper
quoting and proper reply placement for GG, but since I don't see GG
posts or wish to encourage GG's use, I have not made any effort to
remember them.[/QUOTE]

Well, anyone who uses Google can just go read this stuff up
true...

But it is simple enough, click "Show options" and hit reply and
people can order things as they want. They can bottom post and
help everyone out. It is quite unstoppable this Google, so maybe
this simple instruction will ease everyone else's pain <g>

danny

al said:
DoRayMe - Danny's using (the unmentionable) google groups to post his
messages. He might not have any option on where the reply goes. ((Not
having used Google groups I *really* don't know...)) Looking at the
headers and his posts in his blog, Danny appears to be somewhere in Europe
(Germany?).

It also appears as if he might be using FireFox (I'm not certain from the
header information).

Danny, I'm second guessing here but, as I noted above, you seem to be
accessing the groups through the university of Berlin(??). You might want
to ask your sponsor there if you can get direct access to the usenet
newsgroups. If the answer to that is a positive, then google for
'newsreaders', select one of them (and people here can give recommendations
- I use 40tude) and try to use that for acessing the newsgroups.

If my guessing is all wrong - oh, well.

//al

um... I do not live in Europe, I live in Australia in fact (don't you
know where Coolangatta is?)
and i don't understand what this has to do with it all but I access
Google Groups through Google on my Computer by the way I don't know why
my site went black...

danny

al said:
[...]

And by the way all messages that say to Anton are in a special code

dorayme

"danny said:
um... I do not live in Europe, I live in Australia in fact (don't you
know where Coolangatta is?)

Rolf Harris had a beaut song with it in:

Please excuse me (it's not nice in Ed Seedhouse's ignore file and
I sing it to remind myself of the outside world):

"Well, I was humpin' my bluey on the dusty Oodnadatta road,
When along came a semi with a high and canvas-covered load.
If you're goin' to Oodnadatta, mate, um, with me you can ride.
So I climbed in the cabin and I settled down inside.
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand, I said
Listen, mate, I've travelled ev'ry road in this here land.

Cause I've been everywhere, man,
I've been everywhere, man.
'Cross the deserts bare, man;
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

"Been to . . "

I've been to Wollongong, Geelong, Kurrajong, Mullumbimby,
Mittagong, Molong, Grong Grong, Goondiwindi,
Yarra Yarra, Bouindarra, Wallangarra, Turramurra,
Boggabri, Gundagai, Narrabri, Tibooburra,
Gulgong, Adelong, Billabong, Cabramatta,
Parramatta, Wangaratta, Coolangatta, what's it matter?"

.... and much more!

danny

danny said:
Guys I'm just about to make it a whole lot different, so I would
appreciate you continue your helpful feedback, thanks!

It is now updated, please help by continuing your feed back.

John Hosking

danny said:
It is now updated, please help by continuing your feed back.
Hi, Danny,

*NOW* it looks like an 11-year-old's site... :-(

Why a meaningless portal page?

Why black? Why invisible blue links on the black background?

On loading the real first page, there's a JavaScript error:
Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to call method
Location.toString

I can't imagine the artwork matches Runescape. The little green ivy
leaves in the corners certainly don't seem to belong.

The flash banner looks like it's, um, borrowed from somebody else's
corporate site. Is that guy on the phone supposed to be a Runescape player?

You have no need to use XHTML and shouldn't try. Stick with HTML.
My browser and cursor are having trouble getting along when your page is
loaded. Something weird is going on somewhere.

The HTML is bad both on the "splash" page (nasty Microsoft crud) and on
the template pages (table layouts with meaningless image and class names).

It looks like you picked up a template somewhere (which doesn't really
match your site's needs). I think you'd be better off starting from
scratch; you'd learn more, and you could make the site look better.

The two links to "Online Form" are special. Are people supposed to just
type in their passwords there? The pages don't say what the forms are
*for*. The forms need some more testing and debugging.

I hope you have fun and learn a lot, but since you wanted feedback, I
hope you can accept and understand that the site is not as good-looking
as it could be. I think I actually liked the other version better!

HTH

danny

John said:
[...]

Um... is being like a 11 year old's page good or bad? Now you have
really challenged me! With my knowledge of website making I can't do
anything much more than this site and the old one, it would be nice if
you help me find a quality wysiwyg so I can get started while I improve
my HTML thanks...

Jonathan N. Little

danny said:
Um... is being like a 11 year old's page good or bad? Now you have
really challenged me! With my knowledge of website making I can't do
anything much more than this site and the old one, it would be nice if
you help me find a quality wysiwyg so I can get started while I improve
my HTML thanks...

See that is where you are making your error. A WYSIWYG editor is *not* a
substitute for knowing what you are doing! I know many claim that they
are but it is false, without an understanding of HTML you will just make
a real mess, just with a WYSIWYG editor you can make a real mass real fast!

Why not start out right, before you learn sloppy habits that you will
need to unlearn, and will frustrate you you try to do something good.

Go to www.htmldog.com and go through the tutorials and then break out
old Notepad and try again. Personally I use CrimsonEditor.

Joe (GKF)

Rolf Harris had a beaut song with it in:
Lucky Starr. *Lucky Starr* had a beaut song. All other versions are
inferior. (Or did Rolf write it? Dozzenmadda.)
Please excuse me (it's not nice in Ed Seedhouse's ignore file and
I sing it to remind myself of the outside world):
All together now -

Tie me kangaroo down, Sport,
Tie me kangaroo down.
Tie me kangaroo down, Sport,
Tie me kangaroo down.
(THAT was Rolf 'arris)

.... and now, here's (applause) LUCKY /STARR/!!!
"Well, I was humpin' my bluey on the dusty Oodnadatta road,
When along came a semi with a high and canvas-covered load.
If you're goin' to Oodnadatta, mate, um, with me you can ride.
So I climbed in the cabin and I settled down inside.
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand, I said ("I told him" not I said?)
Listen, mate, I've travelled ev'ry road in this here land.

Cause I've been everywhere, man,
I've been everywhere, man.
'Cross the deserts bare, man;
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
("I've travelled" - not Of travel?)
I've been everywhere.

"Been to . . "

I've been to Wollongong, Geelong, Kurrajong, Mullumbimby, (Mullulamba?)
Mittagong, Molong, Grong Grong, Goondiwindi,
Yarra Yarra, Bouindarra, Wallangarra, Turramurra,
Boggabri, Gundagai, Narrabri, Tibooburra,
Gulgong, Adelong, Billabong, Cabramatta,
Parramatta, Wangaratta, Coolangatta, what's it matter?"
(riotous applause)
... and much more!
Gimme. I want it all (no, that's Queen). I can't even remember what
you've already said. My memories above. I knew I left it somewehere.

dorayme

Rolf Harris had a beaut song with it in:
Lucky Starr. *Lucky Starr* had a beaut song. All other versions are
inferior. (Or did Rolf write it? Dozzenmadda.) [/QUOTE]

He sang it.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Jonathan N. Little"
See that is where you are making your error. A WYSIWYG editor is *not*
a substitute for knowing what you are doing! I know many claim that
they are but it is false, without an understanding of HTML you will
just make a real mess, just with a WYSIWYG editor you can make a real
mass real fast!

Yes, those are my feelings precisely. WYSIWYGs are essentially detrimental
to learning what you're doing in the long run.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
I sorta like Johnny Cash's take on everything. I loved to bits
the film Walk the Line.

When I was a wee tyke, I bought JC's 45-rpm record of "I Don't Like It But
I Guess Things Happen That Way." The reverse side was "Come In Stranger",
and both songs were goooood. This was before JC was a star, and I think
there was a bit of an interlude until his next hit. Gave the record,
pretty well beaten-up, to my bro years ago. Wonder if he's still got it?

danny

Jonathan said:
See that is where you are making your error. A WYSIWYG editor is *not* a
substitute for knowing what you are doing! I know many claim that they
are but it is false, without an understanding of HTML you will just make
a real mess, just with a WYSIWYG editor you can make a real mass real fast!

Why not start out right, before you learn sloppy habits that you will
need to unlearn, and will frustrate you you try to do something good.

Go to www.htmldog.com and go through the tutorials and then break out
old Notepad and try again. Personally I use CrimsonEditor.
OK thanks