feedback wanted

Discussion in 'HTML' started by windandwaves, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    windandwaves, Dec 4, 2006

  2. windandwaves wrote:
    > I would love some feedback on www.photowarehouse.co.nz.

    Liked the look and feel a lot. Things broke without JavaScript, but I
    use JavaScript so no complaints from me about that. I did not like the
    feedback page. It looked odd. Nothing wrong with it, I just did not
    like the look of it.

    Travis Newbury, Dec 4, 2006

  3. windandwaves

    Saxman Guest

    windandwaves wrote:
    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I would love some feedback on www.photowarehouse.co.nz.

    I found it sluggish. Quite a lot of content to download.

    Saxman, Dec 4, 2006
  4. windandwaves

    Paul Watt Guest

    "windandwaves" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I would love some feedback on www.photowarehouse.co.nz.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Nicolaas

    The graphics took a while to load, but when they did, it looked good and
    professional.
    (2Mb connection BTW)

    --
    Cheers

    Paul watt
    http://www.paulwattdesigns.com

    Paul Watt, Dec 4, 2006
  5. windandwaves

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Dec 4, 2006
  6. windandwaves

    Philip Ronan Guest

    In article <>,
    "windandwaves" <> wrote:

    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I would love some feedback on www.photowarehouse.co.nz.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Nicolaas

    The home page loaded really slowly for me too (2 MB broadband). This
    isn't so much a problem with your site, but the server you hosted it on.
    Here are the ping results from my desktop:

    >> localhost:~ phil$ ping -c3 www.photowarehouse.co.nz
    >> PING www.photowarehouse.co.nz (210.48.108.38): 56 data bytes
    >> 64 bytes from 210.48.108.38: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=388.799 ms
    >> 64 bytes from 210.48.108.38: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=348.887 ms
    >>
    >> --- www.photowarehouse.co.nz ping statistics ---
    >> 3 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 33% packet loss
    >> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 348.887/368.843/388.799/19.956 ms

    This is just dreadful. For comparison, the average round trip delay to
    www.ford.co.nz (picked at random) was 51 ms (and no lost packets either).

    Design-wise it looks fine apart from the sucky contact page.

    Good luck

    --
    If you really must contact me by email, visit
    http://rumkin.com/tools/compression/base64.php

    Philip Ronan, Dec 4, 2006
  7. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    > > Hi Folk
    > >
    > > I would love some feedback on www.photowarehouse.co.nz.

    > Nice look. Some problems with text scaling. See:
    > http://edmullen.net/temp/nz1.jpg

    Thanks Ed,

    Yes, I am aware of that... That was a compromise with the designer.

    Thanks a million everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated.

    windandwaves, Dec 4, 2006
  8. windandwaves wrote:
    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I would love some feedback on www.photowarehouse.co.nz.

    Maybe with broadband you will not noticed this but your very long
    expanding menu should initialize in the compact mode.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 4, 2006
  9. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    > > Hi Folk
    > >
    > > I would love some feedback on www.photowarehouse.co.nz.

    > Maybe with broadband you will not noticed this but your very long
    > expanding menu should initialize in the compact mode.

    Hi Jonathan

    Thank you for your comment. I totally agree, it is just that I am not
    sure how.

    If I put display: none; in the css then the javascript does not open it
    when it should.

    I think it is a timing issue or so, but I am not sure how to fix it.

    Cheers

    Nicolaas

    windandwaves, Dec 4, 2006
  10. windandwaves wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> windandwaves wrote:
    >>> Hi Folk
    >>>
    >>> I would love some feedback on www.photowarehouse.co.nz.

    >> Maybe with broadband you will not noticed this but your very long
    >> expanding menu should initialize in the compact mode.
    >>

    > Hi Jonathan
    >
    > Thank you for your comment. I totally agree, it is just that I am not
    > sure how.
    >
    > If I put display: none; in the css then the javascript does not open it
    > when it should.
    >
    > I think it is a timing issue or so, but I am not sure how to fix it.

    Here is how I would do it:

    1 by default in your CSS have it all displayed

    2 by JavaScript add link to stylesheet that redefines menu lists as
    display: none (collapsed mode) That way if one has JavaScript disabled
    they will still see your menu!

    3 In JavaScript have flags vars initialized as FALSE for each
    collapsible menus

    4 With your JavaScript adds onclick handlers for menu "expander" links
    to toggle flag of menu. If flag is TRUE then for associated menu, by the
    id, set display property to "block", or if FALSE set to "none".

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 5, 2006
  11. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Hi Dudes

    If you visit www.photowarehouse.co.nz again.... Do you find the menu
    loads faster now? I have added a bit of script that is supposed to
    action before the body onload thing is ready.

    Thanks

    Nicolaas

    windandwaves, Dec 6, 2006
  12. windandwaves

    Philip Ronan Guest

    In article <>,
    "windandwaves" <> wrote:

    > Hi Dudes
    >
    > If you visit www.photowarehouse.co.nz again.... Do you find the menu
    > loads faster now? I have added a bit of script that is supposed to
    > action before the body onload thing is ready.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nicolaas

    Your site is as slow as ever. And the ping response is even worse now.

    $ ping -c 3 www.photowarehouse.co.nz
    PING www.photowarehouse.co.nz (210.48.108.38): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 210.48.108.38: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=368.436 ms

    --- www.photowarehouse.co.nz ping statistics ---
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 368.436/368.436/368.436/0.000 ms

    You have to get away from this useless hosting company you're with at
    the moment. It really is unbelievably crap. Jiggling around with the
    menu script is not going to solve your problems.

    Oh, and the contact page still sucks. It looks ugly and the pre-filled
    text boxes are very irritating. Use labels.

    Philip Ronan, Dec 6, 2006
  13. windandwaves

    Bergamot Guest

    windandwaves wrote:

    > If you visit www.photowarehouse.co.nz again.... Do you find the menu
    > loads faster now?

    Seems to be even slower loading than it was yesterday. The menu is still
    15 screens long - way too much info for good usability.

    > I have added a bit of script that is supposed to
    > action before the body onload thing is ready.

    Doesn't help me a bit, since I usually run with JS disabled. :(

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 6, 2006
  14. Bergamot wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    >>
    >> If you visit www.photowarehouse.co.nz again.... Do you find the menu
    >> loads faster now?

    > Seems to be even slower loading than it was yesterday. The menu is still
    > 15 screens long - way too much info for good usability.

    I call those "toilet paper" pages, named after the long roll.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 6, 2006
  15. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Philip Ronan wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "windandwaves" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Dudes
    > >
    > > If you visit www.photowarehouse.co.nz again.... Do you find the menu
    > > loads faster now? I have added a bit of script that is supposed to
    > > action before the body onload thing is ready.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Nicolaas
    > >

    > Your site is as slow as ever. And the ping response is even worse now.

    > $ ping -c 3 www.photowarehouse.co.nz
    > PING www.photowarehouse.co.nz (210.48.108.38): 56 data bytes
    > 64 bytes from 210.48.108.38: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=368.436 ms
    >
    > --- www.photowarehouse.co.nz ping statistics ---
    > 3 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 66% packet loss
    > round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 368.436/368.436/368.436/0.000 ms
    >
    > You have to get away from this useless hosting company you're with at
    > the moment. It really is unbelievably crap. Jiggling around with the
    > menu script is not going to solve your problems.

    Pinging www.photowarehouse.co.nz [210.48.108.38] with 32 bytes of data:

    Ping statistics for 210.48.108.38:

    It seems fast here in New Zealand and we are targetting a New Zealand
    audience.

    I have taken it up wit the hosting company to hear their side of the
    story.

    Thanks a million for this

    > Oh, and the contact page still sucks. It looks ugly and the pre-filled
    > text boxes are very irritating. Use labels.

    Will be fixed

    windandwaves, Dec 6, 2006
  16. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Bergamot wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    > >
    > > If you visit www.photowarehouse.co.nz again.... Do you find the menu
    > > loads faster now?

    > Seems to be even slower loading than it was yesterday. The menu is still
    > 15 screens long - way too much info for good usability.
    >
    > > I have added a bit of script that is supposed to
    > > action before the body onload thing is ready.

    > Doesn't help me a bit, since I usually run with JS disabled. :(

    Hmmm, yes, we discriminate against those folk at the moment. Sorry.
    That is good feedback. I guess at least it works with JS (albeit
    sluggish).

    windandwaves, Dec 6, 2006
  17. windandwaves wrote:
    > Hi Dudes
    >
    > If you visit www.photowarehouse.co.nz again.... Do you find the menu
    > loads faster now? I have added a bit of script that is supposed to
    > action before the body onload thing is ready.

    Nope still slow, and having the menu fully expanded upon init is
    distracting. Here is a little demo as to how you could start with the
    menu closed, and support if the visitor has JavaScript disabled. In the
    demo the style and JavaScript is in the head, but you would have them in
    external files. Not that the body markup pristine and does not have any
    JavaScript, but it is assigned upon loading....

    <head>
    <title>template</title>
    #sm1,#sm2,#sm3 {
    display: block;
    }

    <script type="text/javascript">
    var buf='<style type="text/css">#sm1, #sm2, #sm3 { display: none;
    }</style>';
    document.write(buf);
    </script>

    <script type="text/javascript">

    var menus=new Array('m1', 'm2', 'm3');

    function toggle(e){
    var me;
    if(!e) var e=window.event;
    if(e.target) me=e.target; // W3C
    else if(e.srcElement) me=e.srcElement; // MSIE
    if(me.nodeType == 3) me=me.parentNode; // Safari bug on elements
    with TEXT

    var id='s' + me.id;
    var submenu=document.getElementById(id);
    me.flag =! me.flag;
    if(me.flag) submenu.style.display="block";
    else submenu.style.display="none";
    }

    function initMenus(){
    for( var i=0; i<menus.length; i++){
    var menu=document.getElementById(menus);

    //alert('Init ' + menus + ' which is ' + menu.tagName );

    menu.flag=false;

    if(menu.addEventListener){
    menu.addEventListener('click', toggle, false);
    }
    else if(menu.attachEvent){ //MS IE support
    menu.attachEvent('onclick', toggle);

    // attach event after page loads
    if( window.addEventListener ) {
    window.addEventListener('load',initMenus,false); //legacy
    } else if( document.addEventListener ) {
    document.addEventListener('load',initMenus,false); //proper
    } else if( window.attachEvent ) {
    window.attachEvent("onload", initMenus); //IE only
    }

    </script>

    </head>

    <ul>