Feeling like a dope

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ike, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. Ike

    Ike Guest

    I have a client who has installed J2SE 1.5.06 on their Windows XP Server. If
    they go to Control Panel, it shows under Add/Remove Programs.

    However, when I go to invoke java, it fails with "java.exe is not a
    recognized internal or external command..."

    I am beside myself -- I've never seen this happen and am wondering what in
    the world is wrong here -- what stupid thing have I perhaps overlooked that
    java, installed on a machine, fails to be seen? Thanks, Ike
     
    Ike, Jun 12, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ike wrote:
    >
    > However, when I go to invoke java, it fails with "java.exe is not a
    > recognized internal or external command..."
    >
    > I am beside myself -- I've never seen this happen and am wondering what in
    > the world is wrong here -- what stupid thing have I perhaps overlooked that
    > java, installed on a machine, fails to be seen? Thanks, Ike
    >
    >


    Perhaps you should check the machine's PATH environment variable. Does
    it contain the WINDOWS subdir? Or the path of the Java platform
    environment?

    ==
    John O'Conner
     
    John O'Conner, Jun 12, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ike

    Robert Iver Guest

    John O'Conner wrote:
    > Ike wrote:
    > >
    > > However, when I go to invoke java, it fails with "java.exe is not a
    > > recognized internal or external command..."
    > >
    > > I am beside myself -- I've never seen this happen and am wondering what in
    > > the world is wrong here -- what stupid thing have I perhaps overlooked that
    > > java, installed on a machine, fails to be seen? Thanks, Ike
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Perhaps you should check the machine's PATH environment variable. Does
    > it contain the WINDOWS subdir? Or the path of the Java platform
    > environment?
    >
    > ==
    > John O'Conner


    Yes, I agree with John, check the PATH environment variable and also
    make sure that the actual Java files are there and that your client
    didn't simply delete the directory under Program Files instead of
    uninstall the JRE.
     
    Robert Iver, Jun 12, 2006
    #3
  4. Robert Iver wrote:
    > John O'Conner wrote:
    >> Ike wrote:
    >>> However, when I go to invoke java, it fails with "java.exe is not a
    >>> recognized internal or external command..."
    >>>
    >>> I am beside myself -- I've never seen this happen and am wondering what in
    >>> the world is wrong here -- what stupid thing have I perhaps overlooked that
    >>> java, installed on a machine, fails to be seen? Thanks, Ike
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Perhaps you should check the machine's PATH environment variable. Does
    >> it contain the WINDOWS subdir? Or the path of the Java platform
    >> environment?
    >>
    >> ==
    >> John O'Conner

    >
    > Yes, I agree with John, check the PATH environment variable and also
    > make sure that the actual Java files are there and that your client
    > didn't simply delete the directory under Program Files instead of
    > uninstall the JRE.
    >


    And if it isn't obviously the PATH I would just remove and reload it.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/
     
    Knute Johnson, Jun 12, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. EvelynAnd Ethan
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,005
    =?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=
    Jan 9, 2006
  2. EvelynAnd Ethan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    414
    EvelynAnd Ethan
    Oct 17, 2005
  3. EvelynAnd Ethan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    560
    EvelynAnd Ethan
    Oct 17, 2005
  4. Jeff Bauer

    OT: The Straight Dope

    Jeff Bauer, Oct 7, 2003, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    680
    Nick Vargish
    Oct 28, 2003
  5. gavino
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    271
    Luc The Perverse
    Oct 26, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page