Feeling like a dope

Ike

I have a client who has installed J2SE 1.5.06 on their Windows XP Server. If
they go to Control Panel, it shows under Add/Remove Programs.

However, when I go to invoke java, it fails with "java.exe is not a
recognized internal or external command..."

I am beside myself -- I've never seen this happen and am wondering what in
the world is wrong here -- what stupid thing have I perhaps overlooked that
java, installed on a machine, fails to be seen? Thanks, Ike

John O'Conner

Ike said:
However, when I go to invoke java, it fails with "java.exe is not a
recognized internal or external command..."

I am beside myself -- I've never seen this happen and am wondering what in
the world is wrong here -- what stupid thing have I perhaps overlooked that
java, installed on a machine, fails to be seen? Thanks, Ike

Perhaps you should check the machine's PATH environment variable. Does
it contain the WINDOWS subdir? Or the path of the Java platform
environment?

==
John O'Conner

Robert Iver

John said:
Perhaps you should check the machine's PATH environment variable. Does
it contain the WINDOWS subdir? Or the path of the Java platform
environment?

==
John O'Conner

Yes, I agree with John, check the PATH environment variable and also
make sure that the actual Java files are there and that your client
didn't simply delete the directory under Program Files instead of
uninstall the JRE.

Knute Johnson

Robert said:
Yes, I agree with John, check the PATH environment variable and also
make sure that the actual Java files are there and that your client
didn't simply delete the directory under Program Files instead of
uninstall the JRE.

And if it isn't obviously the PATH I would just remove and reload it.