Fellas.......need help

Guest

Hi,
I created a COM+ component which I am able to access with remote clients,
however, I am unable to execute the component form a webservice. When I run
the webservice I get

The page cannot be displayed

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer

I am able to reach the service and see the exposed method via
http://localhost/myservice/service1.asmx but when I click on the exposed
method which calls the COM+ component I then get the error. Where can I find
info on accessing COM+ comp form a webservice.

Thanks

Nick Malik [Microsoft]

Hi Chris,
I created a COM+ component which I am able to access with remote clients,
however, I am unable to execute the component form a webservice. When I
run
the webservice I get

The page cannot be displayed

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer

I am able to reach the service and see the exposed method via
http://localhost/myservice/service1.asmx but when I click on the exposed
method which calls the COM+ component I then get the error. Where can I
find
info on accessing COM+ comp form a webservice.

HTTP 500 usually happens when the server closes the connection to the
browser without returning correct HTTP headers. This is nearly always a
sign that the code raised an untrapped exception before any data was written
to the response object. In a web service, all response data goes through an
XML object, so if the call errors out, there's nothing to come back.

So start by making sure that you have a Try-Catch block and that in the
catch portion, you are writing your error message in the return from the
call.

Second thing: what is causing the call to fail. I don't have the error
message in front of me, so I cannot be sure... so in the spirit of
newsgroups: I'll guess. :)

I'm going to guess that you have specified a role in Enterprise Services for
this COM+ object and in that role, you have specified a user group that is
allowed to have access, and that you have not granted permission to the
ASPNET local user on that machine (which is good) but that also, in the
web.config for your web service, you didn't say <identity impersonate=true>
which is what you SHOULD do.

I hope I guessed right.

--
--- Nick Malik [Microsoft]
MCSD, CFPS, Certified Scrummaster

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
representative of my employer.
I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer. I'm just a
programmer helping programmers.

Guest

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Indeed good information. I did tried to impersonate
using

<identity impersonate="true" />
and
<identity impersonate="true" userName="Administrator" password="mypass"/>

but I get the same message.

What is the STA thread and MTA thread? Where can I find information on this?
I was unable to get your attachment. Can you send to
[[[[[!!@delcom5@@@gmaildotcommmm]]]?//?] I am trying to avoid the spam.

What else could be the issue other than impersonation?

Thanks

Guest

Where can I find information on setting the Roles in Enterprise Services COM+
object? I did set <identity impersonate=true> in webconfig but didn't assign
ASP.net to any to any group and performed and other security setting with the
exception on IIS which I changed from Anonymous to Windows Integrated but
would perfoer to use Anonymous because I will asking for an AUTHORIZATION
code in the webservice as an additional parameter.

Thanks for responding.