Female Java Programmers...

Pavel

I'd love to see the ratio of male programmers to female programmers if
anyone has any info on this.

I just think life would be so much easier if there were more female Java
Programmers in the world.

End of rant.

Thanks,
Pavel

Stefan Ram

Pavel said:
I just think life would be so much easier if there were more
female Java Programmers in the world.

How would your life become more easy in this case?

Luc The Perverse

Pavel said:
I just think life would be so much easier if there were more female Java
Programmers in the world.

Why?

I don't think my life has ever been complicated by a lack of women
programming in Java - but I could be mistaken.

bruces1

Maybe he's going with..

More female Java programmers = more opportunities for heterosexual male
Java programmers to meet females in the workplace --> more
opportunities to hook up with like minded women without having to
actively seek them out??

Pavel

Stefan said:
How would your life become more easy in this case?

I suppose I should have realized that this could easily become a topic
of debate BEFORE I hit the send button. But, since I didn't, I will
attempt to take my keyboard out of my mouth, and qualify my vague
statement in hopes that a fiery rage does not ensue.

Simply put, I feel it would be "easier" to have a relationship with a
woman, if they shared "ALL" of the same interests as I do. In 'my'
experience, there are certainly not enough women that seem to be
interested in computers and/or programming of any kind.

Although I know that this does not prohibit me from finding a decent,
wholesome woman... I do believe that it would be easier to come home and
be able to explain why my day was so cool because I hammered out 5000
lines of code with a new API. It may also be easier to be able to come
home and maybe for just 10 minutes vent a little bit about why my JVM
destroyed my day. Instead I get... "Babe, I don't know what the
<expletive deleted> you're talking about." , or "That's nice, Dear, but
I need new shoes." , or "Java?, Sorry we just ran out of coffee."

And perhaps "easier" is the wrong term for my initial rant, because this
could definitely cause more problems than it's worth...

But I certainly think it would be "interesting" if there were more women
in the Computers & Programming section of Barnes & Noble. Until then, I
suppose cheap pickup lines in clubs and bars will have to do. :)

Thank you,
Pavel

Pavel

Maybe he's going with..

More female Java programmers = more opportunities for heterosexual male
Java programmers to meet females in the workplace --> more
opportunities to hook up with like minded women without having to
actively seek them out??

I swear that I'm not lazy, but, yes, I believe that by pairing
heterosexual male Java Programmers with heterosexual female Java
Programmers, the workplace could potentially be less stressful... or ...
much more stressful.

In any event, it would be interesting.

Stefan Ram

Pavel said:
Simply put, I feel it would be "easier" to have a relationship
with a woman, if they shared "ALL" of the same interests as I do.

I believe that in order to /create/ a relationship, the woman
should be interested in /you/ as a partner, first and
foremost. Otherwise, it might not help that both of your share
the same interest in Java.
Instead I get... "Babe, I don't know what the <expletive
deleted> you're talking about." , or "That's nice, Dear, but I
need new shoes." , or "Java?, Sorry we just ran out of coffee."

Given that there already is a relationship, I can understand
your point: it can be more fun, if both also can talk about
programming. Just take care of your self-esteem for the case
that she might outperform you as a Java programmer.

Pavel

Stefan said:
I believe that in order to /create/ a relationship, the woman
should be interested in /you/ as a partner, first and
foremost. Otherwise, it might not help that both of your share
the same interest in Java.

I agree 100%. I'm not looking to "instantiate" a relationship solely,
on Java alone. That would be perverse. :)

Given that there already is a relationship, I can understand
your point: it can be more fun, if both also can talk about
programming. Just take care of your self-esteem for the case
that she might outperform you as a Java programmer.

Hey, if she can write code better than I can, more power to her. I think
that would serve more as a turn-on than a turn-off. And, yes... this is
actually more perverse. :)

Danno

Judging by the pictures of attendees at Java One, I'd say its about
1000 men to 1 woman. If the all of humanity ceases to exist with the
exception of everyone at the Moscone Center during Java One, I
sincerely hope that those 12 women there are flexible.

Pavel

Danno said:
Judging by the pictures of attendees at Java One, I'd say its about
1000 men to 1 woman. If the all of humanity ceases to exist with the
exception of everyone at the Moscone Center during Java One, I
sincerely hope that those 12 women there are flexible.

LMFAO :)

Thank you, I rest my case.

Roedy Green

Judging by the pictures of attendees at Java One, I'd say its about
1000 men to 1 woman. If the all of humanity ceases to exist with the
exception of everyone at the Moscone Center during Java One, I
sincerely hope that those 12 women there are flexible.

For me, I would hope the males would be flexible. :)

Pep

Pavel said:
I swear that I'm not lazy, but, yes, I believe that by pairing
heterosexual male Java Programmers with heterosexual female Java
Programmers, the workplace could potentially be less stressful... or ...
much more stressful.

In any event, it would be interesting.

And the view across the open plan office w/space would be greatly
improved :)

Pep

Pavel said:
I agree 100%. I'm not looking to "instantiate" a relationship solely,
on Java alone. That would be perverse. :)

Hey, if she can write code better than I can, more power to her. I think
that would serve more as a turn-on than a turn-off. And, yes... this is
actually more perverse. :)

Then again you could take the approach that I did which was to show my wife
what my job was all about. I won't say that she has become a programmer
but she certainly understands when I talk to her, or maybe I just wishfully
think the "uh huh's" and "mmm's" are agreement and understanding :)

bruces1

I am slowly but surely nerdifying my girlfriend.

When I met her she played "The Sims". I introduced her to Civilization
3. From there to an RPG / Adventure game. Next step.. Dungeons and
Dragons :-D

bugbear

Pavel said:
I'd love to see the ratio of male programmers to female programmers if
anyone has any info on this.

I just think life would be so much easier if there were more female Java
Programmers in the world.

There are very few jobs that actually require a penis or vagina.
All other jobs should be open to everybody.

~Florynce Kennedy

BugBear

bugbear

Danno said:
Judging by the pictures of attendees at Java One, I'd say its about
1000 men to 1 woman.

It depends wether attendees of a Java conference
are a representative sample.

I doubt this rather strongly.

BugBear

Luc The Perverse

Pavel said:
I swear that I'm not lazy, but, yes, I believe that by pairing
heterosexual male Java Programmers with heterosexual female Java
Programmers, the workplace could potentially be less stressful... or ...
much more stressful.

Maybe the problem isn't that there aren't enough female java programmers.
Maybe male programmers just need to be more open minded to the idea of a gay
relationship