FFT with Python

Satish Chimakurthi

Hi All,

Did anyone compute FFT - Fast Fourier Trans using Python ? I am looking for a simple Python package which can do spectral analysis for me. Can someone help me get such a package ?

Thanks

Regards,
Satish Chimakurthi

Jarek Zgoda

Satish Chimakurthi said:
Did anyone compute FFT - Fast Fourier Trans using Python ? I am
looking for a simple Python package which can do spectral analysis for
me. Can someone help me get such a package ?

Numeric has it.

Fernando Perez

Jeremy said:
Of course you probably want to use numarray instead, which is newer and
has further development.

Unless speed for small arrays matters, case in which you stick with Numeric
until the Numarray constructors and some other functions get rewritten in C
(post 1.0). Numarray works great (and is better documented, cleaner, etc) for
the 'few large arrays' case. It has problems for the 'many small arrays' type
of code. That's why SciPy hasn't switched to Numarray.

Numarray is being written by the Hubble crowd, so it makes sense that they'd
optimize their usage cases first (astronomy images are the 'few big arrays'
kind of code).

Just a small precision.

And for the OP, scipy wraps fftw for you, as well as including a raft of other
signal-processing oriented things. And it makes sure to do use ATLAS build of
lapack.

hth,