    what I expect. Mozilla does't. Page validates.
    http://pjmsmit.nl/probeersel5.htm
    Thank you for your patience.
    Peter Smit, Jan 20, 2007

  2. Peter Smit

    Rik Guest

    Peter Smit wrote:
    > Please can someone tell me why fieldset borders are not showing. IE
    > does what I expect. Mozilla does't. Page validates.
    > http://pjmsmit.nl/probeersel5.htm
    > Thank you for your patience.

    You have no border-color and style defined. Allthough it's customary to
    pick the color of the element and 'solid' in that case, there's no color
    defined for the element by parent either. Also 'border' takes 3 values, if
    you only wnat to define the width you should use border-width.

    Furthermore I would not use em for a border-width. Using em's is good, but
    there it get's tricky, for instance, my bottom-border gets marginally
    thinner then to top & left, possibly due to internel rounding of the
    browser.

    There are several options:
    Option 1:
    fieldset{
    border: 1px solid black;
    }

    Option 2:
    fieldset{
    border-width: 1px;
    color: black;
    }
    Option 3:
    fieldset{
    border-width: 1px;
    border-color: black;
    }
    Option 4:
    body{
    color: black;
    }
    fieldset{
    border-width: 1px;
    Rik Wasmus
    Rik, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Peter Smit

    Rik Guest

    Rik wrote:
    > You have no border-color and style defined. Allthough it's customary
    > to pick the color of the element and 'solid' in that case, there's no
    > color defined for the element by parent either.

    That being said, I'm looking at the page right now in Opera, where it had a
    very ugly greenish/yellow background, and hence the black text is hard to
    read. That's my doing: I specified an ugly color as default
    background-color, but is shows it's advisable to always define a standard
    background-color & color in the body tag.
    --
    Rik Wasmus
    Rik, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Peter Smit

    Peter Smit Guest

    Rik wrote:

    > Rik wrote:
    >
    >>You have no border-color and style defined. Allthough it's customary
    >>to pick the color of the element and 'solid' in that case, there's no
    >>color defined for the element by parent either.

    > That being said, I'm looking at the page right now in Opera, where it had a
    > very ugly greenish/yellow background, and hence the black text is hard to
    > read. That's my doing: I specified an ugly color as default
    > background-color, but is shows it's advisable to always define a standard
    > background-color & color in the body tag.

    Rik , thank you for your comment. I tried all the possibilities but not
    one is as good as IE shows. Also the makeup is different in Mozilla. The
    first form is at the right of the first div.
    Further education is needed for me.
    Peter
    Peter Smit, Jan 20, 2007
  5. Peter Smit

    Rik Guest

    Peter Smit wrote:
    > Rik wrote:
    >
    >> Rik wrote:
    >>
    >>> You have no border-color and style defined. Allthough it's customary
    >>> to pick the color of the element and 'solid' in that case, there's
    >>> no color defined for the element by parent either.

    >> That being said, I'm looking at the page right now in Opera, where
    >> it had a very ugly greenish/yellow background, and hence the black
    >> text is hard to read. That's my doing: I specified an ugly color as
    >> default background-color, but is shows it's advisable to always
    >> define a standard background-color & color in the body tag.

    > Rik , thank you for your comment. I tried all the possibilities but
    > not
    > one is as good as IE shows.

    Define 'as good'?

    > Also the makeup is different in Mozilla.

    Makeup?

    > The first form is at the right of the first div.
    > Further education is needed for me.
    > Peter

    box1 is left floated. If you don't want you form next to it, don't float
    it.
    --
    Rik Wasmus
    Rik, Jan 20, 2007
  6. Peter Smit

    Peter Smit Guest

    Rik wrote:

    > Peter Smit wrote:
    >
    >>Rik wrote:

    >>>That being said, I'm looking at the page right now in Opera, where
    >>>it had a very ugly greenish/yellow background, and hence the black
    >>>text is hard to read. That's my doing: I specified an ugly color as
    >>>default background-color, but is shows it's advisable to always
    >>>define a standard background-color & color in the body tag.

    >>Rik , thank you for your comment. I tried all the possibilities but
    >>not
    >>one is as good as IE shows.

    > Define 'as good'?

    With nice borders around

    >>Also the makeup is different in Mozilla.

    > Makeup?

    what is looks like

    >>The first form is at the right of the first div.
    >>Further education is needed for me.
    >>Peter

    > box1 is left floated. If you don't want you form next to it, don't float
    > it.

    thank you. I took the float out. Now is is almost alright. Still missing
    the border on the right side.
    Peter
    Peter Smit, Jan 20, 2007
  7. Peter Smit

    Rik Guest

    Peter Smit wrote:
    > Rik wrote:
    >> Peter Smit wrote:

    >>> Rik , thank you for your comment. I tried all the possibilities but
    >>> not
    >>> one is as good as IE shows.

    >> Define 'as good'?

    > With nice borders around

    Not to be a pain in the ass, but I'm not familiar with border-type: nice...
    Please be more specific: don't you get any border, another border you'd
    wish

    >>> Also the makeup is different in Mozilla.

    >> Makeup?
    >>

    > what is looks like

    'what it looks like' is hardly anything I can pinpoint. Talk about
    position, margins, colors, etc. Unfortunately I'm not psychic.

    >>> The first form is at the right of the first div.
    >>> Further education is needed for me.

    >> box1 is left floated. If you don't want you form next to it, don't
    >> float it.

    > thank you. I took the float out. Now is is almost alright. Still
    > missing the border on the right side.

    As far as I can tell there's a border on every side in MSIE, Firfox &
    Opera. Perhaps you want a different style then the default for fieldsets.
    Might border-style:solid; on the fieldset be what you're after?
    --
    Rik Wasmus
    Rik, Jan 20, 2007
  8. Peter Smit wrote:
    > Rik wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Smit wrote:

    >>> Rik , thank you for your comment. I tried all the possibilities but
    >>> not
    >>> one is as good as IE shows.

    >> Define 'as good'?
    >>

    > With nice borders around

    Okay Peter, firstly you are not specifying the border style. The default
    is groove. But note, how IE renders 3D style borders, (groove, ridge,
    inset, outset) is different than other browsers (they tend to be more
    contrasting from the light and dark parts). You will have no control
    over that, except specify a border style that they both render alike:

    fieldset{
    width: 75%;
    border: 1px solid black;
    color: black;
    }

    That should do it for you. Also IE doesn't do "dotted" like other
    browsers. IE's "dotted" looks an awfully lot like "dashed"!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 20, 2007
  9. Peter Smit

    Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 15:07:57 +0100, Peter Smit <>
    wrote:

    >Please can someone tell me why fieldset borders are not showing. IE does
    >what I expect. Mozilla does't. Page validates.
    >http://pjmsmit.nl/probeersel5.htm
    >Thank you for your patience.

    They show fine on my Firefox 2.0.0.1 and my typical cheap LCD screen.
    You are using rather low contrast colors that might disappear on a low
    contrast screen though.
    Ed Seedhouse, Jan 20, 2007
  10. Peter Smit

    Peter Smit Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Peter Smit wrote:
    >
    >> Rik wrote:

    >>> Define 'as good'?
    >>>

    >> With nice borders around

    > Okay Peter, firstly you are not specifying the border style. The default
    > is groove. But note, how IE renders 3D style borders, (groove, ridge,
    > inset, outset) is different than other browsers (they tend to be more
    > contrasting from the light and dark parts). You will have no control
    > over that, except specify a border style that they both render alike:
    >
    > fieldset{
    > width: 75%;
    > border: 1px solid black;
    > color: black;
    > }
    >
    > That should do it for you. Also IE doesn't do "dotted" like other
    > browsers. IE's "dotted" looks an awfully lot like "dashed"!

    Thank you all Yuo have been very helpful. I'll keep on studying. Thanks
    Peter
    Peter Smit, Jan 20, 2007