Fighting WSDL.exe

Nick Locke

Hello, a very newbie here, so please don't be too harsh! I have found my way
through to using Altova XMLSpy to create what it says is a valid WSDL file
(including picking up the Types from an external file as I shall need to
reuse them). XMLSpy is happy, but when I try to push the WSDL through the MS
WSDL.EXE tool, it has kittens. I have added the Lecture from WSDL.EXE first
and then my WSDL. I would welcome any help - and apologies for the length of
the post!

C:\>wsdl /server /out:c:\temp c:\temp.wsdl

Microsoft (R) Web Services Description Language Utility

[Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.42]

Warning: This web reference does not conform to WS-I Basic Profile v1.1.

R2204: A document-literal binding in a DESCRIPTION MUST refer, in each of
its soapbind:body element(s), only to wsdl:part element(s) that have been
defined using the element attribute.

- Part 'VehicleDetails' of message 'AddRequest' from service description
with targetNamespace='http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

- Part 'StolenVehicleId' of message 'AddResponse' from service description
with targetNamespace='http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

- Part 'ServerTime' of message 'AddResponse' from service description with
targetNamespace='http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

R2210: If a document-literal binding in a DESCRIPTION does not specify the
parts attribute on a soapbind:body element, the corresponding abstract
wsdl:message MUST define zero or one wsdl:parts.

- Operation 'StolenVehicleAdd' on binding 'StolenBinding' from namespace
'http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

For more details on the WS-I Basic Profile v1.1, see the specificationat
http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html.

Error: Unable to import binding 'StolenBinding' from namespace
'http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

- Unable to import operation 'StolenVehicleAdd'.

- The operation binding 'StolenVehicleAdd' from namespace
'http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle' had invalid syntax.
Missing soap:eek:peration binding.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSpy v2006 rel. 3 sp2 (http://www.altova.com) by Nick
Locke (N/A) -->
<definitions xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"
xmlns:http="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/http/"
xmlns:y="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle"
xmlns:t="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/types"
xmlns:st="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/simple_types"
targetNamespace="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle">
<types>
xmlns:t="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/types" targetNamespace="empty"
elementFormDefault="qualified">
<xsd:import namespace="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/types"
schemaLocation="C:\Documents and Settings\NickLocke\My Documents\Altova
Projects\Types.xsd"/>
</xsd:schema>
</types>
<message name="AddRequest">
<part name="VehicleDetails" type="t:Vehicle"/>
</message>
<message name="AddResponse">
<part name="StolenVehicleId" type="st:VehicleId_Type"/>
<part name="ServerTime" type="st:Timestamp_Type"/>
</message>
<portType name="SOAPport">
<operation name="StolenVehicleAdd">
<input message="y:AddRequest"/>
<output message="y:AddResponse"/>
</operation>
</portType>
<binding name="StolenBinding" type="y:SOAPport">
<soap:binding style="document"
<operation name="StolenVehicleAdd">
<input>
<soap:body use="literal"/>
</input>
<output>
<soap:body use="literal"/>
</output>
</operation>
</binding>
<service name="StolenVehicle">
<port name="StolenVehiclePort" binding="y:StolenBinding">
<soap:address location="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk"/>
</port>
</service>
</definitions>

David Jessee

You're going to have to forgive me on being a little vauge, but I've not
dealt with this in a while (totally jaded about web services, here :)

but...

The problem is with your import statement. The wsdl.exe is going to try to
resolve the import by processing it as a URI. try expressing it as
"file://c:/......"

Be aware, though, that you may end up with issues down the road, depending
on how you move forward.

The MS implementation of Web Services makes the assumption, at runtime, that
no one ever created a WSDL file and, therefore, it doesn't perform any
validation against the original WSDL file OR the original schema.

just take a good close look at the generated code when you're done (esp the
attributes attached to the abstract server) to make sure nothing strange
happened.

Side note...When you're doing web services via studio, you're,
unfortunately, wasting your time creating this contract first and then
creating code based on the contract since, as mentioned earlier, the contract
is never enforced, by default. After creating a number of web services using
the WSDL-first approach, I realized that you're doing work that, once the
implementation is completed, really won't have much of a payoff.

Nick Locke said:
[...]

John Saunders

David Jessee said:
[...]

I have to disagree with this. It's true that if you want schema validation
you have to do it yourself. There's an article about this on MSDN. Sorry I
don't have the URL handy. I've followed that article and have implemented
schema validation on input and on output, and it works nicely.

I also use the classes generated by WSDL.EXE. I used to inherit from the
service class it generates, but I now manipulate the XML directly, so only
use the other classes it generates.

John

Nick Locke

The problem is with your import statement. The wsdl.exe is going to try
resolve the import by processing it as a URI. try expressing it as
"file://c:/......"

Thanks David,

I have tried that and, unfortunately, I am still getting exactly the same
set of errors.

Any more clues?

John Saunders [MVP]

Meena Lalwani said:
[...]

Hi ,
I am facing the similar . WSDL is saying correct by XML Spy . WSDL is
using nested schemas .There are many nested schema .Changing all schemas
to one schema is not possible . Is there any other tool also which can
generate the C# code .

I am getting following error
Microsoft (R) Web Services Description Language Utility
[Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 3.5.20706.1]
Warning: This web reference does not conform to WS-I Basic Profile v1.1.
R2204: A document-literal binding in a DESCRIPTION MUST refer, in each of
its so
apbind:body element(s), only to wsdl:part element(s) that have been
defined usin
g the element attribute.
- Part 'parametersrequest' of message
'CreateParentSubscriptionWsdlInputMessa
ge' from service description with
targetNamespace='xml.ABCCorp.com/ISC/SO/SOCo
mmonHeader'.
- Part 'parametersresponse' of message
'CreateParentSubscriptionWsdlOutputMes
sage' from service description with
targetNamespace='xml.ABCCorp.com/ISC/SO/SO
CommonHeader'.

For more details on the WS-I Basic Profile v1.1, see the specification
at http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html.

Error: Unable to import binding 'CreateParentSubscriptionWsdlBinding' from
names
pace 'xml.ABCCorp.com/ISC/SO/SOCommonHeader'.
- Unable to import operation 'createParentSubscription'.
- The element
'http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wsswssecuri
ty-.0.xsd:Security' is missing.
If you would like more help, please type "wsdl /?".

If you use imported schemas, you must specify the path to the schemas on the
command line.

Mighty G

in other words...

specify all files in the command line, e.g. .wsdl, .xsd, etc.

thanks John!