Fighting WSDL.exe

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Nick Locke, Oct 16, 2006.

  1. Nick Locke

    Nick Locke Guest

    Hello, a very newbie here, so please don't be too harsh! I have found my way
    through to using Altova XMLSpy to create what it says is a valid WSDL file
    (including picking up the Types from an external file as I shall need to
    reuse them). XMLSpy is happy, but when I try to push the WSDL through the MS
    WSDL.EXE tool, it has kittens. I have added the Lecture from WSDL.EXE first
    and then my WSDL. I would welcome any help - and apologies for the length of
    the post!

    C:\>wsdl /server /out:c:\temp c:\temp.wsdl

    Microsoft (R) Web Services Description Language Utility

    [Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.42]

    Warning: This web reference does not conform to WS-I Basic Profile v1.1.

    R2204: A document-literal binding in a DESCRIPTION MUST refer, in each of
    its soapbind:body element(s), only to wsdl:part element(s) that have been
    defined using the element attribute.

    - Part 'VehicleDetails' of message 'AddRequest' from service description
    with targetNamespace='http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

    - Part 'StolenVehicleId' of message 'AddResponse' from service description
    with targetNamespace='http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

    - Part 'ServerTime' of message 'AddResponse' from service description with
    targetNamespace='http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

    R2210: If a document-literal binding in a DESCRIPTION does not specify the
    parts attribute on a soapbind:body element, the corresponding abstract
    wsdl:message MUST define zero or one wsdl:parts.

    - Operation 'StolenVehicleAdd' on binding 'StolenBinding' from namespace
    'http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

    For more details on the WS-I Basic Profile v1.1, see the specificationat
    http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html.

    Error: Unable to import binding 'StolenBinding' from namespace
    'http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle'.

    - Unable to import operation 'StolenVehicleAdd'.

    - The operation binding 'StolenVehicleAdd' from namespace
    'http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle' had invalid syntax.
    Missing soap:eek:peration binding.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!-- edited with XMLSpy v2006 rel. 3 sp2 (http://www.altova.com) by Nick
    Locke (N/A) -->
    <definitions xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"
    xmlns:http="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/http/"
    xmlns:y="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle"
    xmlns:t="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/types"
    xmlns:st="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/simple_types"
    targetNamespace="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/StolenVehicle">
    <types>
    xmlns:t="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/types" targetNamespace="empty"
    elementFormDefault="qualified">
    <xsd:import namespace="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk/types"
    schemaLocation="C:\Documents and Settings\NickLocke\My Documents\Altova
    Projects\Types.xsd"/>
    </xsd:schema>
    </types>
    <message name="AddRequest">
    <part name="VehicleDetails" type="t:Vehicle"/>
    </message>
    <message name="AddResponse">
    <part name="StolenVehicleId" type="st:VehicleId_Type"/>
    <part name="ServerTime" type="st:Timestamp_Type"/>
    </message>
    <portType name="SOAPport">
    <operation name="StolenVehicleAdd">
    <input message="y:AddRequest"/>
    <output message="y:AddResponse"/>
    </operation>
    </portType>
    <binding name="StolenBinding" type="y:SOAPport">
    <soap:binding style="document"
    <operation name="StolenVehicleAdd">
    <input>
    <soap:body use="literal"/>
    </input>
    <output>
    <soap:body use="literal"/>
    </output>
    </operation>
    </binding>
    <service name="StolenVehicle">
    <port name="StolenVehiclePort" binding="y:StolenBinding">
    <soap:address location="http://interfaces.xxxx-yyyyy.org.uk"/>
    </port>
    </service>
    </definitions>

    Nick Locke, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Nick Locke

    David Jessee Guest

    You're going to have to forgive me on being a little vauge, but I've not
    dealt with this in a while (totally jaded about web services, here :)

    but...

    The problem is with your import statement. The wsdl.exe is going to try to
    resolve the import by processing it as a URI. try expressing it as
    "file://c:/......"

    Be aware, though, that you may end up with issues down the road, depending
    on how you move forward.

    The MS implementation of Web Services makes the assumption, at runtime, that
    no one ever created a WSDL file and, therefore, it doesn't perform any
    validation against the original WSDL file OR the original schema.

    just take a good close look at the generated code when you're done (esp the
    attributes attached to the abstract server) to make sure nothing strange
    happened.

    Side note...When you're doing web services via studio, you're,
    unfortunately, wasting your time creating this contract first and then
    creating code based on the contract since, as mentioned earlier, the contract
    is never enforced, by default. After creating a number of web services using
    the WSDL-first approach, I realized that you're doing work that, once the
    implementation is completed, really won't have much of a payoff.

    David Jessee, Oct 18, 2006

  3. "David Jessee" <> wrote in message
    > You're going to have to forgive me on being a little vauge, but I've not
    > dealt with this in a while (totally jaded about web services, here :)
    >
    > but...
    >
    > The problem is with your import statement. The wsdl.exe is going to try
    > resolve the import by processing it as a URI. try expressing it as
    > "file://c:/......"
    >
    > Be aware, though, that you may end up with issues down the road, depending
    > on how you move forward.
    >
    > The MS implementation of Web Services makes the assumption, at runtime,
    > that
    > no one ever created a WSDL file and, therefore, it doesn't perform any
    > validation against the original WSDL file OR the original schema.
    >
    > just take a good close look at the generated code when you're done (esp
    > the
    > attributes attached to the abstract server) to make sure nothing strange
    > happened.
    >
    > Side note...When you're doing web services via studio, you're,
    > unfortunately, wasting your time creating this contract first and then
    > creating code based on the contract since, as mentioned earlier, the
    > contract
    > is never enforced, by default. After creating a number of web services
    > using
    > the WSDL-first approach, I realized that you're doing work that, once the
    > implementation is completed, really won't have much of a payoff.

    I have to disagree with this. It's true that if you want schema validation
    you have to do it yourself. There's an article about this on MSDN. Sorry I
    don't have the URL handy. I've followed that article and have implemented
    schema validation on input and on output, and it works nicely.

    I also use the classes generated by WSDL.EXE. I used to inherit from the
    service class it generates, but I now manipulate the XML directly, so only
    use the other classes it generates.

    John

    John Saunders, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Nick Locke

    Nick Locke Guest

    > The problem is with your import statement. The wsdl.exe is going to try
    > resolve the import by processing it as a URI. try expressing it as
    > "file://c:/......"

    Thanks David,

    I have tried that and, unfortunately, I am still getting exactly the same
    set of errors.

    Any more clues?

    Nick Locke, Oct 18, 2006
  5. "Meena Lalwani" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > ge' from service description with
    > targetNamespace='xml.ABCCorp.com/ISC/SO/SOCo
    > mmonHeader'.
    > - Part 'parametersresponse' of message
    > 'CreateParentSubscriptionWsdlOutputMes
    > sage' from service description with
    > targetNamespace='xml.ABCCorp.com/ISC/SO/SO
    > CommonHeader'.
    >
    > For more details on the WS-I Basic Profile v1.1, see the specification
    > at http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html.
    >
    > Error: Unable to import binding 'CreateParentSubscriptionWsdlBinding' from
    > names
    > pace 'xml.ABCCorp.com/ISC/SO/SOCommonHeader'.
    > - Unable to import operation 'createParentSubscription'.
    > - The element
    > 'http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wsswssecuri
    > ty-.0.xsd:Security' is missing.
    > If you would like more help, please type "wsdl /?".

    If you use imported schemas, you must specify the path to the schemas on the
    command line.
    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

    John Saunders [MVP], Jan 2, 2008
  6. Nick Locke

    Mighty G Guest

    in other words...

    specify all files in the command line, e.g. .wsdl, .xsd, etc.

    thanks John!

    Mighty G, Mar 6, 2008