File access permission

Marcia Hon

Hi,

I would like to make a directory with mkdir. This requires a mode
parameter. As such, I would like to have the mode parameter to have
the following permission: drwxr_xr_x . I do not know what the
translation of this is in integer format. As I understand this is the
regular directory permissions.

Please could you indicate what mode to use in mkdir in order to
accomplish this?

Thanks,
Marcia Hon

E. Robert Tisdale

Marcia said:
I would like to make a directory with mkdir.
This requires a mode parameter. As such,
I would like to have the mode parameter
to have the following permission: drwxr_xr_x .

mkdir --mode=a+r,a+x,u+w directory
I do not know what the translation of this is in integer format.
As I understand this is the regular directory permissions.

mkdir --mode=755 directory
Please could you indicate
what mode to use in mkdir in order to accomplish this?

Try one of the UNIX or Linux newsgroups for better answers.

Leor Zolman

Hi,

I would like to make a directory with mkdir. This requires a mode
parameter. As such, I would like to have the mode parameter to have
the following permission: drwxr_xr_x . I do not know what the
translation of this is in integer format. As I understand this is the
regular directory permissions.

Please could you indicate what mode to use in mkdir in order to
accomplish this?

Thanks,
Marcia Hon

Marcia,
Please go back and re-read (or read, if you haven't yet) Peter
Pichler's response to one of your earlier postings. You seem like a
very polite person, but I have to warn you that if you don't heed what
Peter and others have been saying, you may find that politeness no
longer being reciprocated.
Thanks,
-leor

Leor Zolman
BD Software
(e-mail address removed)
www.bdsoft.com -- On-Site Training in C/C++, Java, Perl & Unix
C++ users: Download BD Software's free STL Error Message
Decryptor at www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html

Jack Klein

On 8 Feb 2004 17:39:43 -0800, (e-mail address removed) (Marcia Hon)
wrote in comp.lang.c:

You have been told repeatedly that most of your questions are
off-topic here. They use non-standard extensions that are not part of
the C language.
Hi,

I would like to make a directory with mkdir. This requires a mode
parameter. As such, I would like to have the mode parameter to have

The topic here is the C language as defined by ANSI/ISO/IEC
International Standards. There is no "mkdir" in C. There is no
function to make a directory in C.
the following permission: drwxr_xr_x . I do not know what the

There are no such things as permissions in C.
translation of this is in integer format. As I understand this is the
regular directory permissions.

There are no regular directory permissions in C. In fact, there are
no directories in C.
Please could you indicate what mode to use in mkdir in order to
accomplish this?

Thanks,
Marcia Hon

No one here will tell you what to use in "mkdir", because there is no
such thing as "mkdir" in C, and C is all we discuss.

You have been asked before to take your questions to a group for your
platform. And I suggest very strongly that you buy a book about your
compiler/operating system combination. Usenet can make a good
supplement, it is not a good idea to attempt to use it as the sole
resource to learn programming.

Marcia Hon

Sorry about that I'm new to C and Linux.
I'll be more thoughtful.

Thank you,
Marcia Hon

E. Robert Tisdale

Marcia said:
Sorry about that I'm new to C and Linux.
I'll be more thoughtful.

Hi Marcia,

I see that you've already met some of our indigenous trolls.
If you decide to become a regular subscriber to the comp.lang.c
newsgroup, you will learn to recognize and ignore them.

Jack Klein

mkdir --mode=a+r,a+x,u+w directory

If you can't point to the relevant section of any version of the C
language standard that corroborates your statement above, AND YOU
CAN'T, keep your off-topic gibberish out of comp.lang.c.

Martin Ambuhl

E. Robert Tisdale said:
Hi Marcia,

I see that you've already met some of our indigenous trolls.
If you decide to become a regular subscriber to the comp.lang.c
newsgroup, you will learn to recognize and ignore them.

Since the only posts in this thread before this are from Marcia Hon and
Leor Zolman, I assume ERT is referring to Leor Zolman. Marcia, Leor is a
long respected, competent C programmer. E Robert Tisdale is, however,
widely known as "Trollsdale" because of his habits of posting wrong,
inaccurate, or implementation-specific messages or worse. He is, however,
right that you should learn to recognize and ignore the trolls: start by
putting E Robert Tisdale on the list of people to ignore.

CBFalconer

Marcia said:
I would like to make a directory with mkdir. This requires a mode
parameter. As such, I would like to have the mode parameter to have
the following permission: drwxr_xr_x . I do not know what the
translation of this is in integer format. As I understand this is the
regular directory permissions.

Please could you indicate what mode to use in mkdir in order to
accomplish this?

You have started about 15 different threads on basically the same
problem, always off-topic. Please stop creating new threads, and
take this to a system specific newsgroup. You have already been
told this several times by various people.

Joona I Palaste

ERT, could you please finally start calling me an indigenous troll? It
seems to be a sign of value and respect on this newsgroup.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
"A bee could, in effect, gather its junk. Llamas (no poor quadripeds) tune

Papadopoulos Giannis

E. Robert Tisdale said:
Hi Marcia,

I see that you've already met some of our indigenous trolls.
If you decide to become a regular subscriber to the comp.lang.c
newsgroup, you will learn to recognize and ignore them.
Plz man, stop it..
I' ve had enough already..

--
#include <stdio.h>
#define p(s) printf(#s" endian")

Giannis Papadopoulos
http://dop.users.uth.gr/
University of Thessaly
Computer & Communications Engineering dept.

Keith Thompson

E. Robert Tisdale said:
mkdir --mode=a+r,a+x,u+w directory

mkdir --mode=755 directory

Try one of the UNIX or Linux newsgroups for better answers.

Yes, you're likely to get better (i.e., correct) answers in a UNIX or
Linux newsgroup. And even if you get incorrect answers, they'll
quickly be corrected by the UNIX and Linux experts who hang out in
those groups.

ERT's answer confuses the mkdir command with the mkdir() function, it
assumes the GNU version of the mkdir command, it ignores the
interaction between the mode specified in mkdir and the umask, and it
doesn't explain *why* drwxr-xr-x corresponds to mode 755, or even what
base 755 is expressed in.

I've just spent more time and bandwidth pointing out the errors than
ERT spent making them in the first place; explaining the errors in any
significant detail, let alone correcting them, would take even longer.
And if I got some detail wrong, it's likely that the people who could
jump in and correct it would never see it, since they're in other
newsgroups.

This kind of thing is exactly why we discourage off-topic postings
here. We really are trying to be as helpful as possible. Sometimes
pointing posters to a more appropriate venue is far more helpful than
trying to answer their questions here.

CBFalconer

Jack said:
(e-mail address removed) (Marcia Hon) wrote in comp.lang.c:

You have been told repeatedly that most of your questions are
off-topic here. They use non-standard extensions that are not
part of the C language.

If she didn't have a female name, I suspect the flames would have
already been up to her neck. Who said chivalry is dead!

Nils Petter Vaskinn

If she didn't have a female name, I suspect the flames would have
already been up to her neck. Who said chivalry is dead!

That and the fact that she's quite polite, she said thanks for the answers
she got to on-topic questions (although by top posting). She didn't appear
to take offence and become rude about beeing corrected about topicality.
And she apparently took the advice since I've spotted her name in
comp.unix.programmer. All in all if every newbie behaved like her this
would be a more peaceful group.

Most of the flaming seems to come when someone answers "I can post
whatever I want" after beeing told something is offtopic. The only
connection I can see to gender is that she probably doesn't have the
testosterone poisoning that makes us guys behave like that :)

CBFalconer

Keith said:
.... snip ...

[...]

And why we discourage answers to off-topic questions. ERT, being
a troll, ignores all such requests, and thus we need to warn
others to ignore him.