File Association for Python on XP

W. eWatson

Last night I thought I'd install Python on a friend's XP PC. I noticed
he had declined to show extensions on any file. I thought the Control
Panel might be the way to do it. I couldn't find anything that would do
all files, doc, txt, py, etc.

I was able to do it, I think, from a right-click on a py file. However,
when I then clicked on the file, it seemed like the IDE was not going to
come up. Instead it looked like it was headed directly for interpreter.
His computer is quite slow. We went on to something else. Python doesn't
yet need that much attention.

So what should I have done, and how do I undo what I did?

MRAB

Last night I thought I'd install Python on a friend's XP PC. I noticed
he had declined to show extensions on any file. I thought the Control
Panel might be the way to do it. I couldn't find anything that would do
all files, doc, txt, py, etc.

I was able to do it, I think, from a right-click on a py file. However,
when I then clicked on the file, it seemed like the IDE was not going to
come up. Instead it looked like it was headed directly for interpreter.
His computer is quite slow. We went on to something else. Python doesn't
yet need that much attention.

So what should I have done, and how do I undo what I did?

To show the extensions, in an Explorer window go to Tools->Folder
Options... and look in the View tab. You can also look at the file
associations in the File Types tab.

W. eWatson

To show the extensions, in an Explorer window go to Tools->Folder
Options... and look in the View tab. You can also look at the file
associations in the File Types tab.
Thanks.