    was reliable.

    Has anyone had success doing this? Thanks in advance.

    Mark
    Mark, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Hi Mark,

    Welcome to the ASP.NET newsgroup.

    Regarding on the file storage for web application development through vs
    2005 in team development scenario, here are some of my understanding and
    suggestions:

    For file based webserver, it does ease our development environment
    requirement and make project move and dispatch much easier. For remote
    file share(UNC share), it is possible in theory, however, we recommend that
    you use a local copy on the local development machine. Because when use VS
    2005 ide to open web site project on remote UNC share, it will use the SMB
    protocol(what the windows network file io use to commuincate between remote
    machines) to communicate with the server (which host the UNC share). On
    some client operating system (like xp), the max SMB message count is by
    default limited, and when developing ASP.NET site in vs 2005 through remote
    UNC share, it'll require heavy SMB traffic with the server that may exceed
    the limitation which cause problem. I've ever seen some customers meet such
    problem. So for your scenario, I'd suggest you only store the website
    project on the Team development server and let each developer check out it
    to client development machine and work with the copy locally.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security