File Creation Not Working In A Thread Class?

bc90021

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I have this code:

g = open(fileName, 'a')

where fileName is defined before the line it's used in. It works fine
when I use it outside a thread class.

When I put the same line in a thread class, it no longer works, and I get
an error:

IOError: [Errno 2] no such file u'fileName'

Are threads not allowed to create files?

Arnaud Delobelle

bc90021 said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I have this code:

g = open(fileName, 'a')

where fileName is defined before the line it's used in. It works fine
when I use it outside a thread class.

When I put the same line in a thread class, it no longer works, and I get
an error:

IOError: [Errno 2] no such file u'fileName'

It's telling you that you haven't got a file called 'fileName'.
Posting the code that triggers this error would allow people to
diagnose the error accurately rather than guessing.

Gary Herron

bc90021 said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I have this code:

g = open(fileName, 'a')

I don't believe you. I think you have something like

g = open('fileName', 'a')

instead of (as you claim)

g = open(fileName, 'a')

Do you see the difference?

Develop the skill of reading the error messages *very* carefully. Your error says there is no file named "fileName", and if you think about what's on your disk, I'll bet you won't find a file whose name is "fileName".

Gary Herron

bc90021 said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I have this code:

g = open(fileName, 'a')

where fileName is defined before the line it's used in. It works fine
when I use it outside a thread class.

When I put the same line in a thread class, it no longer works, and I
get an error:

IOError: [Errno 2] no such file u'fileName'
It's telling you that you haven't got a file called 'fileName'. Posting
the code that triggers this error would allow people to diagnose the
error accurately rather than guessing.

f = open(otherFile).readlines()
for i in len(f):
for c in range(0,24,1):
if os.name == "posix":
tempfileName = "\"proctemp/" + self.matrix[c][0]
+ "_tmp_" + fileName + ".txt\""
if re.search(f, pattern):
g = open(tempfileName, 'a')
g.write(f)

This code works *perfectly* unless I put it in a class that inherits from
threading.Thread. In the thread class, everything works (I can see the
"c" value, and I can print out each line in "f", it's just that the g
= open line doesn't work.

bc90021

I don't believe you. I think you have something like

g = open('fileName', 'a')

instead of (as you claim)

g = open(fileName, 'a')

Do you see the difference?

Develop the skill of reading the error messages *very* carefully. Your
error says there is no file named "fileName", and if you think about
what's on your disk, I'll bet you won't find a file whose name is
"fileName".

Gary Herron
Gary,

I can assure you that that's not the case. (Of course, you're free to
believe me or not believe me at your convenience.) You are right that I
don't have that file on the disk - it is supposed to be created with the
"open" line! It works *perfectly* outside the class the inherits from
threading.Thread; inside the threading.Thread class it does NOT create
the file, whether I use g = open(fileName, 'a') or g = open (fileName,
'w'). Hence my obvious confusion.

Arnaud Delobelle

bc90021 said:
bc90021 said:
[...]

It's difficult to know what's wrong with the code you posted because:

* it is not self-contained: otherFile, fileName, pattern are names
which you do not define;

* the IOError you reported earlier can't arise as a result of running
this code.

* you claim it works unless you put it in a subclass of
threading.Thread. Why don't you post this instead, and show us the
traceback?

HTH

FWIW, my crystal ball (whose predictions I don't usually report!)
tells me the same as Garry Herron's.

Arnaud Delobelle

Arnaud Delobelle said:
bc90021 said:
[...]

Correction: it can, if otherFile == u'fileName'

So I put 1000 rupees on this being the cause of the error :)

bc90021

It's difficult to know what's wrong with the code you posted because:
* it is not self-contained: otherFile, fileName, pattern are names
which you do not define;

* the IOError you reported earlier can't arise as a result of running
this code.

* you claim it works unless you put it in a subclass of
threading.Thread. Why don't you post this instead, and show us the
traceback?

HTH

FWIW, my crystal ball (whose predictions I don't usually report!) tells
me the same as Garry Herron's.

Here's the thread class:

#single file is the file we're working on, whose name is passed into the class and which does exist
#matrix is a list of lists that contains info about the files - for this example, [c][0] contains a string, [c][2] contains true or false, and [c][3] contains a pattern to match
#tfValue is another true or false value

class FileProcThread(threading.Thread):
def __init__(self, singleFile, matrix, tfValue):
self.singleFile = singleFile
self.matrix = matrix
self.tfValue = tfValue
threading.Thread.__init__(self)
def run(self):
(dirName, fileName) = os.path.split(self.singleFile)
f = open(self.singleFile).readlines()
copying = False
for i in range(len(f)):
for c in range (len(self.matrix)):
if (re.search(self.matrix[c][3], f)):
if (self.matrix[c][2] == True):
copying = True
if os.name == "posix":
if (self.tfValue == False):
tempfileName = "\"proctemp/" + self.matrix[c][0] + "_tmp_" + fileName +
".txt\""
else:
tempfileName = "\"proctemp/" + self.matrix[c][0] + "_other.txt\""
else:
if (self.tfValue == False):
tempfileName = "\"proctemp\\" + self.matrix[c][0] + "_tmp_" + fileName + ".txt\""
else:
tempfileName = "\"proctemp\\" + self.matrix[c][0] + "_other.txt\""
else:
copying = False
if (re.search(self.matrix[c][4], f)):
copying = False
if (copying):
print "We're in copying, and tempfileName is: %s...\n" % tempfileName
#The above line correctly prints the temporary file name every time! The directory exists, too!
g = open(tempfileName, 'a') #This does not work. Notice I do NOT have quotes around tempfileName, as I said.
g.write(f)
g.close()

Like I said, this works FINE outside the thread class. I hope that the formatting comes through...

7

7stud

[...]

...and the exact error message was?

Here is a tip: if you want people to help you, then you have to help
them to help you. Personally, I wouldn't respond to anymore of your
questions because you seem incapable of posting the information that
was requested.

bc90021

...and the exact error message was?
Here is a tip: if you want people to help you, then you have to help
them to help you. Personally, I wouldn't respond to anymore of your
questions because you seem incapable of posting the information that was
requested.

So far, the people who have answered this post have gone on the
assumption that I'm stupid. I'm not. I took perfectly working code,
cut it from one class, and put it in another. It stopped working in the
second class. I've spent days on this and trust me, given what I've
experienced of the Python community so far, if I didn't have to ask, I
wouldn't.

(I really must say that so far the help I am getting in the Python
community is a big let down. Whether it's on IRC or here, everyone has
an arrogance that I don't find anywhere else in the open source
community, and it seriously makes me question the choice of language that
I've made.)

The error message was at the top of the thread (am I incapable of posting
it, or are you incapable of following a thread?), but here it is again:

IOError: [Errno 2] no such file u'tempfileName'

7

7stud

bc90021 said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I have this code:

g = open(fileName, 'a')

where fileName is defined before the line it's used in. It works fine
when I use it outside a thread class.

When I put the same line in a thread class, it no longer works, and I get
an error:

IOError: [Errno 2] no such file u'fileName'

Are threads not allowed to create files?

....oh yeah:

import threading
import time

fname = "data.txt"
f = open(fname)
print f.read()
f.close()

f = open(fname, "a")
f.write("some text\n")
f.close()

f = open(fname)
print f.read()
f.close()

class MyThread(threading.Thread):
def __init__(self, file_name):
threading.Thread.__init__(self)

def run(self):
time.sleep(3)

f = open(fname)
print f.read()
f.close()

f = open(fname, "a")
f.write("other text\n")
f.close()

f = open(fname)
print f.read()
f.close()

my_t = MyThread(fname)
my_t.start()
my_t.join()

--output:--
hello
world

hello
world
some text

hello
world
some text

hello
world
some text
other text

Arnaud Delobelle

bc90021 said:
So far, the people who have answered this post have gone on the
assumption that I'm stupid. I'm not. I took perfectly working code,
cut it from one class, and put it in another. It stopped working in the
second class. I've spent days on this and trust me, given what I've
experienced of the Python community so far, if I didn't have to ask, I
wouldn't.

I have in no way assumed that you are stupid. I have tried to help
you formulate your problem better so that people on the list can help
you. I believe I have done so respectfully, with the aim of
introducing you to the modus operandi of this group.
(I really must say that so far the help I am getting in the Python
community is a big let down. Whether it's on IRC or here, everyone has
an arrogance that I don't find anywhere else in the open source
community, and it seriously makes me question the choice of language that
I've made.)

Don't judge too quickly. I think this newsgroup is on the whole
extremely helpful. I have learnt a lot from it. But you have to get
used to its ways, and until you are familiar with them, approach it
with humility.
The error message was at the top of the thread (am I incapable of posting
it, or are you incapable of following a thread?), but here it is again:

IOError: [Errno 2] no such file u'tempfileName'

This is different from the error message that you posted in your
Anyway, what is useful to us is a full traceback, no just an error
message.

7

7stud

[...]

Well, it appears to me that this error message is different than the
one in your first post. But maybe I'm on LSD right now and things
will be appear differently tomorrow.

In addition, I've never seen a python error message that doesn't
include the traceback, which you were asked to post, but apparently
are still incapbable of doing. Also, any line numbers in the error
message should be marked in your code with comments. That will help
other people help you, remember?

7

7stud

[...]

In addition, posting the exact output from this:
print "We're in copying, and tempfileName is: %s...\n" % tempfileName
#The above line correctly prints the temporary file name every time!
The directory exists, too!

would be helpful.

In addition, reducing your code to a simple 10 line example that
produces the same problem and that anyone can run would be helpful.
You might find that making the effort to produce a simple 10 line
example that mimics the problem, will actually result in your solving
the problem yourself.

bc90021

[CUT]
I have in no way assumed that you are stupid. I have tried to help you
formulate your problem better so that people on the list can help you.
I believe I have done so respectfully, with the aim of introducing you
to the modus operandi of this group.

I appreciate your help. However, the comments I got from other people
that "I'm sure you have quotes here..." type comments are incredibly
insulting. To tell someone that you're sure that they have quotes around
something when they don't is the height of arrogance and rudeness.
Don't judge too quickly. I think this newsgroup is on the whole
extremely helpful. I have learnt a lot from it. But you have to get
used to its ways, and until you are familiar with them, approach it with
humility.

Unfortunately, this is not my first interaction with the Python IRC
communities or Python newsgroups. I had tried working with this language
a while back (around 2000) and the answers I got were unhelpful and
usually rude. I decided to give it another shot for the program I'm
writing, and I'm regretting that. It's possible that I'm to blame - I'm
the common factor in both instances, but at the same time, when you ask a
question in #python and NO ONE ANSWERS at all, and they all just sit
there not talking at all, what's the point of having the IRC channel? If
newbies can't go there for help, what's the point? When there are 70
people in a channel, and no one even acknowledges your question has been
asked, where does one go for help? It's like talking to yourself.