file download dialog box events

Tim B

Is there a way in javascript to detect that the file download dialog box
has appeared or has closed? Suppose I have a form that when submitted makes
a request that could take awhile to complete. The response would be a file
generated on the server - e.g. a pdf file. When the form is submitted I show
some sort of message or graphic, like "please wait...". When the file is
ready and a dialog box pops up indicating it's ready, or when the user
closes that dialog box, I want to remove the message. I could set up some
sort of polling process, but I want to keep things simple.

Randy Webb

Tim B said the following on 2/24/2007 1:04 PM:
Is there a way in javascript to detect that the file download dialog box
has appeared or has closed?
No.

Suppose I have a form that when submitted makes a request that could
take awhile to complete. The response would be a file generated on
the server - e.g. a pdf file. When the form is submitted I show some
sort of message or graphic, like "please wait...". When the file is
ready and a dialog box pops up indicating it's ready, or when the user
closes that dialog box, I want to remove the message. I could set up some
sort of polling process, but I want to keep things simple.

You can't. It is an OS dependent element that you have no way of knowing
when it is - or isn't - there.