File download from client

xprotocol

Is there any way to create a file for download on the client itself?
With some software I work on, there's an export to excel option,
generally we just get this from the server but in this case all the
information is available in the DOM and it would be cool just to pull
and form the document on the client without calling the server. Any
tricks to do such a thing? I know generally this is not possible but
we're working in an IE only environment at the intranet security
level. Was thinking there might be some activeX object that could
pull this off. Thanks.

Stevo

xprotocol said:
Is there any way to create a file for download on the client itself?
With some software I work on, there's an export to excel option,
generally we just get this from the server but in this case all the
information is available in the DOM and it would be cool just to pull
and form the document on the client without calling the server. Any
tricks to do such a thing? I know generally this is not possible but
we're working in an IE only environment at the intranet security
level. Was thinking there might be some activeX object that could
pull this off. Thanks.

Try making a .hta page instead of .html. You can do just about anything
you want as it's understood that it's an application. Try searching at
msdn's site for details. I only did it once in about 2001 and don't
remember too much.

shimmyshack

Is there any way to create a file for download on the client itself?
With some software I work on, there's an export to excel option,
generally we just get this from the server but in this case all the
information is available in the DOM and it would be cool just to pull
and form the document on the client without calling the server. Any
tricks to do such a thing? I know generally this is not possible but
we're working in an IE only environment at the intranet security
level. Was thinking there might be some activeX object that could
pull this off. Thanks.

well if you were working with a browser that had implemented the data
url standard,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data:_URI_scheme
you could do this, firefox etc... are all fine, just
href="data:[<MIME-type>][;base64],<data>"
but as youre working with ie, you would have to write a quick script,
since youve probably got excel installed on these machines why not
use
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234774
its easy enough using COM to produce any spreadsheet you want.
You can also have it loaded withint the webpage - and editable inside
IE using 2003 (not sure about 2007 i think they removed support for
web enabling it, havent tried)