    we're working in an IE only environment at the intranet security
    level. Was thinking there might be some activeX object that could
    pull this off. Thanks.

    xprotocol, Oct 22, 2007

  2. xprotocol

    Stevo Guest

    xprotocol wrote:
    > Is there any way to create a file for download on the client itself?
    > With some software I work on, there's an export to excel option,
    > generally we just get this from the server but in this case all the
    > information is available in the DOM and it would be cool just to pull
    > and form the document on the client without calling the server. Any
    > tricks to do such a thing? I know generally this is not possible but
    > we're working in an IE only environment at the intranet security
    > level. Was thinking there might be some activeX object that could
    > pull this off. Thanks.

    Try making a .hta page instead of .html. You can do just about anything
    you want as it's understood that it's an application. Try searching at
    msdn's site for details. I only did it once in about 2001 and don't
    remember too much.

    Stevo, Oct 22, 2007

  3. xprotocol

    shimmyshack Guest

    On Oct 22, 5:07 pm, xprotocol <> wrote:
    > Is there any way to create a file for download on the client itself?
    > With some software I work on, there's an export to excel option,
    > generally we just get this from the server but in this case all the
    > information is available in the DOM and it would be cool just to pull
    > and form the document on the client without calling the server. Any
    > tricks to do such a thing? I know generally this is not possible but
    > we're working in an IE only environment at the intranet security
    > level. Was thinking there might be some activeX object that could
    > pull this off. Thanks.

    well if you were working with a browser that had implemented the data
    url standard,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data:_URI_scheme
    you could do this, firefox etc... are all fine, just
    href="data:[<MIME-type>][;base64],<data>"
    but as youre working with ie, you would have to write a quick script,
    since youve probably got excel installed on these machines why not
    use
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234774
    its easy enough using COM to produce any spreadsheet you want.
    You can also have it loaded withint the webpage - and editable inside
    IE using 2003 (not sure about 2007 i think they removed support for
    web enabling it, havent tried)

    shimmyshack, Oct 22, 2007