ch=fgetc(fp);
if(ch==EOF)
break;
printf("%c",ch);
}
fclose(fp);
return 0;
}

fopen() always returns NULL although the file abc.txt is present
can anyone please suggest me why am i not able to open the file..i
believe i am missing out on something?

(I am using Visual Studio 2005 on Windows)

Martin Ambuhl

Kelly B wrote:
[...]
fp=fopen("C:\abc.txt","r");
fopen() always returns NULL although the file abc.txt is present
can anyone please suggest me why am i not able to open the file..i
believe i am missing out on something?

You are trying to open "C:<alarm>bc.txt".
Dyslexic PC-DOS command line syntax notwithstanding, open either
"C:/abc.txt" or (if you insist) "C:\\abc.txt".
And check the FAQ before posting.

Gregor H.

fp=fopen("C:\abc.txt","r");
While the whole UNIX word used / in pathnames, the software geniuses at MS
decided to use \. This means that you have to modify your path string to
"C:\\abc.txt" (or "C:/abc.txt") befor you can use it in fopen.

G. H.

Flash Gordon

Kelly B wrote, On 29/03/07 06:50:

FILE *fp;
char ch;

ch=fgetc(fp);
if(ch==EOF)

<snip>

Your next problem, after the one that others have pointed out, is that
you need to define ch as an int rather than a char. Check your
documentation for the definition of what fgetc returns, and the
comp.lang.c FAQ, for more information.

Mark McIntyre

While the whole UNIX word used / in pathnames, the software geniuses at MS
decided to use \.

actually, they decided to use "/" as the switch-char, which left them
with no choice. I recall that this was because of some feature of its
CP/M heritage.
Interestingly you can actually change the switchar back to "-" if you
want, and then automagically paths separated by / will work.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Kelly B said:
#include<stdio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>

int main(void)
{

FILE *fp;
char ch;

fp=fopen("C:\abc.txt","r");
if(fp==NULL)
exit(0);

while(1)
{
ch=fgetc(fp);
if(ch==EOF)
break;
printf("%c",ch);
}
fclose(fp);
return 0;
}

fopen() always returns NULL although the file abc.txt is present
can anyone please suggest me why am i not able to open the file..i
believe i am missing out on something?

(I am using Visual Studio 2005 on Windows)

you can try this
#include<stdio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>

main(void)
{

FILE *fp;
char ch;

fp = fopen("\\abc.txt","r");
if(fp == NULL) { printf("File not found\n"); exit(1); }

while( (ch = fgetc(fp)) != EOF)
putchar(ch);

system("pause");
fclose(fp);

Kelly B

Flash said:
Kelly B wrote, On 29/03/07 06:50:

<snip>

Your next problem, after the one that others have pointed out, is that
you need to define ch as an int rather than a char. Check your
documentation for the definition of what fgetc returns, and the
comp.lang.c FAQ, for more information.

Thank you sir.
I did get the warning and i changed the declaration to
int ch; after i noticed that fgetc returned int.
The code is working fine now.

Flash Gordon

Kelly B wrote, On 30/03/07 16:36:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Thank you sir.

Way hey! I've been knighted!
I did get the warning and i changed the declaration to
int ch; after i noticed that fgetc returned int.
The code is working fine now.

One of many reasons you should always pay attention to warnings :)