File I/O on a network drive from asp.net

Kim Kragh

Hi.

I've tried to save, move files from asp.net (using the FileInfo object). It
works fine locally, but I can't make it work on network drives. I have
granted the aspnet user all required permissions, but still with no luck.

Should I tweak something else (policy or app setting)?
Can I access a NAS box running Storage Server 2003 as an active directory
user?

Thanks in advance!

Curt_C [MVP]

how are you accessing these network drives... hopefully not with a map/drive
letter. User UNC

Guest

Kim
Granting permission to ASPNET user on a network machine will not help you. It only applies to your local machine. You have to get a domain account who has permissions to write to the directory on the network. For testing sake you can always use your account if your account has write permissions on the directory

HTH
Suresh

----- Kim Kragh wrote: ----

Hi

I've tried to save, move files from asp.net (using the FileInfo object). I
works fine locally, but I can't make it work on network drives. I hav
granted the aspnet user all required permissions, but still with no luck

Should I tweak something else (policy or app setting)
Can I access a NAS box running Storage Server 2003 as an active director
user

Thanks in advance

Felix Wu [MSFT]

Hi Kim,

By default, ASP.NET is running with ASPNET. It is a local account and, by
default, has no access to network resources. The actual account with which
your request is processed is determined by the ASP.NET worker process
settings in machine.config and virtual directory security settings in IIS
manager console.

Check the virutal directory security setting in IIS manager console. What
type of authentication you use? Did you enable impersonation in the
web.config file of the asp.net web application? You can take a look at the
following article for more information about ASP.NET impersonation:

306158 INFO: Implementing Impersonation in an ASP.NET Application
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306158

You can use the Token Dump component from the MSDN magazine article to
check the token dump information in detail. It can give a clear view of how
ASP.NET security model works :

ASP .NET Security Issues (by Keith Brown)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/security/default.aspx

Regards,

Felix Wu