File in use error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Nathan Sokalski, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. I am recieving an error about not being able to use a file because it is
    already in use. Based on the error, I think it is referring to my DB, but I
    don't know how to avoid the error or why it is happening. Here is the error:
    Server Error in '/LVBEP' Application.

    Could not use ''; file already in use.

    Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Could not use ''; file
    already in use.

    Source Error:

    Line 41: Dim memberadapter As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT *
    FROM members ORDER BY name", "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE="
    & Server.MapPath("LVBEP.mdb"))
    Line 42:
    Line 43: memberadapter.Fill(members)
    Line 44: datEditMembers.DataSource = members
    Line 45: datEditMembers.DataBind()

    Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb Line: 43

    Stack Trace:

    [OleDbException (0x80004005): Could not use ''; file already in use.]
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr) +20
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider() +57
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +203
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.QuietOpen(IDbConnection connection,
    ConnectionState& originalState) +44
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32
    startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command,
    CommandBehavior behavior) +304
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord,
    Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior
    behavior) +77
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet) +38
    LVBEP.memberadmin.RefreshMembers() in
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb:43
    LVBEP.memberadmin.Page_Init(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LVBEP\memberadmin.aspx.vb:27
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e) +67
    System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +241

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2032
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Sep 18, 2005

  2. Make sure your Access database file is NOT open in Windows. I.e., make
    sure you are closed out of it. I don't know if that's the cause of YOUR
    error, but I do know that things can get 'funky' if you have Access
    opened, inspecting/modifying your database, and you try to work with it
    via an ASP.NET page...

    hth

    --

    Scott Mitchell [ASP.NET MVP]

    http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com/ScottMitchell

    Scott Mitchell [MVP], Sep 19, 2005

  3. I did not have Access (or any other programs that use Access or any Access
    DBs) open at the time. I even tried restarting my computer to make sure
    nothing was running in the background, but it did not help.

    Nathan Sokalski, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Nathan Sokalski

    Pipo Guest

    If you right click on the access DB and choose for properties is the
    checkbox 'read-only' checked?
    If so uncheck it.

    -------

    > >> Could not use ''; file already in use.

    the

    Pipo, Sep 19, 2005
  5. Nathan Sokalski

    Bob Guest

    Nathan:

    Make sure your closing your connection after you access your data in your
    code.

    Look for a file LVBEP..ldb on the server in the same dir as the LVBEP.mdb
    file. If it it's there, delete it.

    If you have access to the IIS Administrator, open the IIS Admin.

    Right click the site and click properties. Click the "home Directory" tab
    and click the "Unload" button then delete the LVBEP.ldb file.

    Then try your connection again. As I said, make extra sure your closing the
    connection in your code.

    MyOLEDBConnection.Open()

    Fill your dataAdapters

    MyOLEDBConnection.Close()

    By chance, your not developing against a DB that is also in production are
    you?

    Make sure your Access file is not in the root. Put it in a sub dir of the
    root and don't give the "Everyone" account read permissions.

    Be sure not to load data directly into a session object. Use sessions
    sparingly.

    HTH

    Bob

    Bob, Sep 19, 2005