File Install Program Using Python?

CB Hamlyn

Hello, I'm currently working on a Modification for the PC game Battlefield
1942. I'm a pretty good VBA Programmer with some Foxpro under belt as well.
After reading a ton of stuff on-line I'm simply floored by everything Python
has to offer.

Anyway, I want to create an installation program that takes a folder and all
it's sub-folders and copies them from a compressed form into the proper
directory. Basically a simplified version InstallSheild or whatever.

I assume Python is capable of such a feat and I'm wondering if anyone can
spin me around, point me in the right direction and shove me toward my goal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
CB Hamlyn

Dave Brueck

CB said:
Hello, I'm currently working on a Modification for the PC game Battlefield
1942. I'm a pretty good VBA Programmer with some Foxpro under belt as well.
After reading a ton of stuff on-line I'm simply floored by everything Python
has to offer.

Anyway, I want to create an installation program that takes a folder and all
it's sub-folders and copies them from a compressed form into the proper
directory. Basically a simplified version InstallSheild or whatever.

I assume Python is capable of such a feat and I'm wondering if anyone can
spin me around, point me in the right direction and shove me toward my goal.

It's definitely possible, but are you more interested in doing it for your own
educational purposes or for getting the job done? If it's the latter then free
installers like InnoSetup and the WinAmp installer will save you a lot of time
since they already work well.

If you just want to do this to learn more, then look into the ZipFile class in
the zipfile module for starters. You can add a lightweight GUI using Mark
Hammond's win32 extensions or Venster, and finally convert it into an
executable with py2exe or one of the other packagers out there.

-Dave

CB Hamlyn

Thank you so much. I'd like to learn it and you've all given me a great
head start!