File Location

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jim Heavey, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Jim Heavey

    Jim Heavey Guest

    Hello, I have done some volunteer work for my club and develop a web site
    in ASP.Net. I have the code working fine and now I am ready to move the
    code up to their web hosting company. I have never actually moved code
    onto a real web hosting company, so everything is all new to me. Some of
    the questions I have which hopefully someone will be able to point me in
    the right direction....

    1. How do I alter my connection string for my MDB file to point to the new
    file location. For example, if my file will be hosted at "www.MyClub.com"
    is there someway to change my file location to be
    www.MyClub.com/MyAccessdb.mdb? Or will i be given a "real" logical drive
    to place my file into and change my connection string accordingly.
    2..Is there some mechanism in VS.Net 2002 to actually move the compiled
    software in the "bin" folder?
    3. My project current has a reference to a module outside of the project.
    Do I just move the corresponding .dll into the bin directory? Do I need to
    alter/re-adjust the reference which I currently have (is file location
    stored with the reference??) or just by moving the file into the bin
    folder, all will be right with the world.

    I'm sure I will find other things that I need to know/discover, but this is
    it for now.

    Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Jim Heavey, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Jim Heavey

    Malek Guest

    1. where you can store your file depends on your hosting ... if you put the
    connection string in the config file, it should be easy to arrange it after
    you get the info ... (you don't want it to be on the application folder-and
    risk it being accessibile through internet!!!)...
    2. you simply need to copy the bin folder
    3. did you set the refernce "Copy local" property to true ? if so, it will
    be in the bin folder, and you need to do nothing to have it work (just copy
    the bin folder with all referenced dll that are in it)

    Malek, Feb 23, 2004

    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
    Got tidbits? Get it here...