file.move to unc causes error

Michael McLaughlin

Hello I also posted this message under dotnet.security.

What I have is a web application that shows the user their files in a
protected location. The user can then select a file and move it to another
server over unc. The user is logged in via windows basic authentication with
their domain credentials and the site is ssl encrypted. When the file.move
command executes it generates an error which I am sure is based on ntfs
access denied. When I take a look at the request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER")
it shows my user. I am sure this is an impersonation issue, can anyone point
me in the right direction?

foldername = "c:\path\folder"
mpf = "\\server\share\path"
file.Move(foldername & "\" & CStr(DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Text), Mpf &
"\" & CStr(DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Text))

Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\)

do you have something like this in your web.config ?

<identity
impersonate="true"
/>

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Michael,
Try putting :- <identity impersonate="true/> in your
web.config..and see..
If still gives an error POST IT.
Patrick

Michael McLaughlin

Oh heck it worked. Is there a practical guide on Impersonation that you would
recommend?

Michael McLaughlin