File.open().read.length result incorrect on Windows Server

Aaron Chandler

Hi,

I need to open and read a 7.6M file on an EC2 Windows Server 2003
machine, and when I try using:

File.open('bigfile.flv').read.length

the result I get is 22731 (wrong) with the last characters of the file
data being "\334r\227\000\220-".

In comparison, when I run this same command for the same file on my Mac,
I get 7941109 (correct) with the last characters of the file data being
"\000\000\000\250"

It appears as if the file data is being truncated in Windows. Anyone
have an idea as to why I would be seeing results like this?

Thanks,
Aaron

Michael Linfield

It appears as if the file data is being truncated in Windows. Anyone
have an idea as to why I would be seeing results like this?

Not a good explanation of WHY per'se but I've previously encountered
similar problems when opening large files on windows. What wouldn't open
in windows would open in Linux just fine.

Maybe try a different read method such as:

IO.read("filename.flv").length

or

File.stat("filename.flv").size

I don't have a large dataset I can duplicate the problem on at the
moment so I can't test this for you :(

Regards,

- Mac

Heesob Park

Hi,

2009/3/17 Aaron Chandler said:
Hi,

I need to open and read a 7.6M file on an EC2 Windows Server 2003
machine, and when I try using:

File.open('bigfile.flv').read.length

the result I get is 22731 (wrong) with the last characters of the file
data being "\334r\227\000\220-".

In comparison, when I run this same command for the same file on my Mac,
I get 7941109 (correct) with the last characters of the file data being
"\000\000\000\250"

It appears as if the file data is being truncated in Windows. Anyone
have an idea as to why I would be seeing results like this?
Try
File.open('bigfile.flv','rb').read.length

Refer to http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/47209184b760c8e4/e8aca721faa8ac67

Regards,

Park Heesob