File or assembly name or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jlea, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. jlea

    jlea Guest

    I'm receiving the error message shown below when I try to load an aspx file
    (C# web application) on our server. The web application works fine if I
    remove the reference to the dll so I know the application and IIS are both
    ok. I ran depends on the dll and all referenced dlls are either in system32
    or in the bin directory of the web application. I suspect it is some kind of
    security issue.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Jon Lea

    Parser Error Message: File or assembly name LeapSoft.Engr.Utils, or one of
    its dependencies, was not found.

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: DisplayName = LeapSoft.Engr.Utils
    (Partial)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///E:/Pub/JL/TestWebApplication1
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
    Calling assembly : (Unknown).
    ===

    LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
    partial, or location-based assembly bind).
    LOG: Post-policy reference: LeapSoft.Engr.Utils
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/jltestwebsite1/3b1b703f/74d67837/LeapSoft.Engr.Utils.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/jltestwebsite1/3b1b703f/74d67837/LeapSoft.Engr.Utils/LeapSoft.Engr.Uti
    ls.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///E:/Pub/JL/TestWebApplication1/bin/LeapSoft.Engr.Utils.DLL.
    LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
    partial, or location-based assembly bind).
    LOG: Post-policy reference: LeapSoft.Engr.Utils, Version=1.0.1733.19648,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    jlea, Oct 4, 2004

  2. The error you are getting is a code access security exception. This means the
    assembly you are working with (your project) cannot access the other assembly
    or the other assembly cannot access some software it needs to work.

    You can edit the machine.config to open security policy (there is also a
    tool for this). Better yet, you can adjust the security for your particular
    project (noting that an executable that is distributed to clients needs to
    have the same security).

    For your global assemblies, you can put them in the Global Assembly cache
    and erase most exceptions. Most likely the issue is the assemblies in
    System32.

    ---

    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    ***************************
    Think Outside the Box!
    ***************************

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Oct 4, 2004

  3. jlea

    jlea Guest

    Thanks for the good info. Where in the .NET IDE or IIS do I adjust the
    security for the project? Jon.

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    jlea, Oct 4, 2004
  4. jlea

    jlea Guest

    I forgot to mention that the server is Win2000. When I run the same web
    application from an NT machine (using IE) to my XP-Pro machine (running IIS)
    within the intranet, all is good.

    "jlea" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the good info. Where in the .NET IDE or IIS do I adjust the
    > security for the project? Jon.
    >
    > "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <>

    wrote

    jlea, Oct 4, 2004