File Overwrite - What does Windows do first?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by ukwebguy, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. ukwebguy

    ukwebguy Guest

    Hi,

    I'm using Persits ASP Upload to upload files to a simple document
    management application running on Windows Server 2003. At the moment
    I've set the OVERWRITEFILES property to FALSE so every time a file is
    updated ie the same file is uploaded, the filename is extended by a
    postfix eg if I upload logfile.txt and then upload it again the new file
    is called logfile(1).txt This is required because the code first uploads
    the new file and then deletes the old one. The drawback is that the file
    name extends and extends and extends...

    My question is - if I set OVERWRITEFILES to TRUE and the upload fails
    half way through, will the original file be trashed or will Windows
    somehow 'roll back'?

    Regards
    ukwebguy

    ukwebguy, Apr 13, 2006