    JezB Guest

    What is the dotNET-approved way of synchronizing ASP.NET application files
    among the various servers of a web farm ?

    JezB, Aug 16, 2004

  2. JezB

    Peter Morris Guest

    I asked this question at an MS show recently. I was told that the way to do
    it is to have the files on a shared network folder and to point IIS to that.

    --
    Pete
    ====

    Read or write articles on just about anything
    http://www.HowToDoThings.com

    Peter Morris, Aug 16, 2004

  3. JezB

    JezB Guest

    Point multiple IIS servers to the same location ? Seems a bit daft - will
    introduce an extra network exchange for each request that could be avoided.
    Will also introduce a potential bottleneck that I thought webfarms should
    avoid.

    JezB, Aug 16, 2004
  4. JezB

    TPS Guest

    I Xcopy all of my files to a "stage" folder on one of my servers in the
    farm.

    Then I have a .CMD file or .BAT file that Xcopies all files from the web
    sites to backup folders on their respective drives.
    Then it Xcopies all of the files from the "stage" folder to each one of the
    websites.

    Works like a charm and is very uncomplicated.

    TPS.

    TPS, Aug 17, 2004
  5. JezB

    JezB Guest

    That's the approach I have adopted too, but I wasn't sure if it's the
    approved way. Do you rely on directory shares on all your servers so that
    the xcopy can copy to the desired location ? or do you use IIS virtual
    directories in some way ?

    JezB, Aug 17, 2004