    possible to automate this process, will buy if need to.

    Priti

    , Oct 30, 2006

  2. Ben C Guest

    On 2006-10-30, <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am wondering what the simpliest tool or best way is to go to website
    > using a program or tool and either:
    > a) saving the file at the URL ( In this case a ***.txt file is the url)
    > so it would be something like http:// www.testsite.com/testfile.txt .
    > This file is a simple pipe delimited text file with some rudimentary
    > data on it. I would like to automate this process so that whatever tool
    > I use goes to the site once every minute to get an update and saves the
    > file to my ftp.

    There are lots of ways. To get the page, wget or curl are suitable
    programs, Python's httplib will also do it.

    > FOllowing that I have to put this data into an xls file
    >
    > b) Mine the above data and delimit it and send it to an xls or html
    > file.
    >
    > Any thoughts, not looking to do much coding here just a tool to use if
    > possible to automate this process, will buy if need to.

    You are going to have to a little bit of coding I think. The task is
    just too specific, I don't see how anyone could sell a tool that did
    exactly this unless you paid someone specifically to write it.

    Ben C, Oct 31, 2006

    Thanks,

    I will check out these tools, if I can save the file I can trigger a
    conversion in excel I think,
    as for option 2 can I use asp or VB 6 for that, I am not familiar with
    ..net yet.

    Priti
    Ben C wrote:
    > On 2006-10-30, <> wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am wondering what the simpliest tool or best way is to go to website
    > > using a program or tool and either:
    > > a) saving the file at the URL ( In this case a ***.txt file is the url)
    > > so it would be something like http:// www.testsite.com/testfile.txt .
    > > This file is a simple pipe delimited text file with some rudimentary
    > > data on it. I would like to automate this process so that whatever tool
    > > I use goes to the site once every minute to get an update and saves the
    > > file to my ftp.

    > There are lots of ways. To get the page, wget or curl are suitable
    > programs, Python's httplib will also do it.
    >
    > > FOllowing that I have to put this data into an xls file
    > >
    > > b) Mine the above data and delimit it and send it to an xls or html
    > > file.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts, not looking to do much coding here just a tool to use if
    > > possible to automate this process, will buy if need to.

    > You are going to have to a little bit of coding I think. The task is
    > just too specific, I don't see how anyone could sell a tool that did
    > exactly this unless you paid someone specifically to write it.

    , Oct 31, 2006
  4. Ben C Guest

    On 2006-10-31, <> wrote:
    > Thanks,
    >
    > I will check out these tools, if I can save the file I can trigger a
    > conversion in excel I think,

    It's probably easiest to turn the "pipe-delimited" thing into csv (maybe
    as simple as replace | with ,) and let Excel convert the csv to xls.

    [snip]

    Ben C, Oct 31, 2006
  5. dp Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks,
    >
    > I will check out these tools, if I can save the file I can trigger a
    > conversion in excel I think,
    > as for option 2 can I use asp or VB 6 for that, I am not familiar with
    > .net yet.
    >
    > Priti
    > Ben C wrote:
    >> On 2006-10-30, <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I am wondering what the simpliest tool or best way is to go to
    >>> website using a program or tool and either:
    >>> a) saving the file at the URL ( In this case a ***.txt file is the
    >>> url) so it would be something like http://
    >>> www.testsite.com/testfile.txt . This file is a simple pipe
    >>> delimited text file with some rudimentary data on it. I would like
    >>> to automate this process so that whatever tool I use goes to the
    >>> site once every minute to get an update and saves the file to my
    >>> ftp.

    >> There are lots of ways. To get the page, wget or curl are suitable
    >> programs, Python's httplib will also do it.
    >>
    >>> FOllowing that I have to put this data into an xls file
    >>>
    >>> b) Mine the above data and delimit it and send it to an xls or html
    >>> file.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts, not looking to do much coding here just a tool to use
    >>> if possible to automate this process, will buy if need to.

    >> You are going to have to a little bit of coding I think. The task is
    >> just too specific, I don't see how anyone could sell a tool that did
    >> exactly this unless you paid someone specifically to write it.

    Please don't top-post. It makes a conversation difficult to follow.
    For asp, use the file system object to write yourself a csv file.
    Search for "asp fso". Many examples and tutorials.

    --
    dp

    dp, Nov 18, 2006