File select dialog - Impossible?

Guest

Hi,
I'm creating a website for our intranet that people will use to get
compliance approval of any company documents that are to be published/sent
out to customers.
An entry in the database will store details of the reason for sending out
the document, intended audience etc. and the location of the document itself.
The approver must be able to view the document, so I want to add its address
into a field on the database table along with a 'friendly' name that will be
displayed in a gridview. When the approver selects the file, it will be
opened in a separate window for review.
In order to add the file to the system, the person seeking approval has to
be able to navigate to where the file is on our network and select it. The
full path can then be stored.
Until I started looking for a solution, I didn't think that this was a
particularly demanding requirement, but it appears to be impossible.

Graham