File Syncing

Discussion in 'Python' started by dads, Jun 19, 2009.

  1. dads

    dads Guest

    I've created a small application that when you click one of the
    buttons it randomly picks a paragraphs from a list that it generates
    from a text file and then copies them to the clipboard. It also has
    make new/edit/delete/print/ etc functionality.

    It's for work so I get some brownie points and every know and then I
    could work on it and learn python while getting paid (heaven) instead
    of my normal customer service job (mind I've done 95% of it at home).
    I've been allowed to install it on one of the blade servers so one of
    the team can use if they connect to that server. Great stuff.

    When we normally connect through one of the thin clients we connect
    randomly to one of three blade servers. I've just thought that when I
    add the app to the other servers they will be completely separate. So
    if the the paragraphs which are stored in text files are amended/
    deleted/created will only happen on one server and not them all. I've
    a couple of questions:

    What would happen if more than one person used my application at the
    same time? I haven't added any I/O exception code so I think that
    would be an issue but would python crash? (it's only got simple
    functions and controls in it, no threading or process code or anything
    like that, i'd post it but it's 2500lines long)

    What would I have to learn to be able to sync the text files on each
    server? python network programming? Or something else? Sorry for my
    naivety =p
    dads, Jun 19, 2009

  2. In message <b2c37939-f921-4ea5-
    >, dads wrote:

    > What would I have to learn to be able to sync the text files on each
    > server?

    How big is the text file? If it's small, why not have your script read it
    directly from a master server every time it runs, instead of having a local
    copy.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 20, 2009

  3. dads

    dads Guest

    On Jun 20, 11:21 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <b2c37939-f921-4ea5-
    >
    > >, dads wrote:
    > > What would I have to learn to be able to sync the text files on each
    > > server?

    > How big is the text file? If it's small, why not have your script read it
    > directly from a master server every time it runs, instead of having a local
    > copy.

    Yeah the text files will never get bigger than a 100k. I don't think
    they have a master server but i'll check. Thanks
    dads, Jun 20, 2009