File transfers

Kevin

All, or any who can help...

I have an application, written in eVC4, that connects to the Internet and
receives a file via a web service. The request contains the name of the file.
The WS reads the local file and sends back the byte array (stream). However,
what I receive is an XML document, with the file (encoded) between
<base64binary> tags. What I want is to get a raw file (no XML headers or
formatting). The WS is written in VB.NET. It's very simple: open the file, read
the file into a byte array, and return the byte array. I just want the byte
array...not the rest of the XML stuff surrounding the byte array.

Can this be done? How?

Thanks,
Kevin S.

John Saunders [MVP]

Kevin said:
All, or any who can help...

I have an application, written in eVC4, that connects to the Internet and
receives a file via a web service. The request contains the name of the
file. The WS reads the local file and sends back the byte array (stream).
However, what I receive is an XML document, with the file (encoded)
between <base64binary> tags. What I want is to get a raw file (no XML
headers or formatting). The WS is written in VB.NET. It's very simple:
open the file, read the file into a byte array, and return the byte array.
I just want the byte array...not the rest of the XML stuff surrounding the
byte array.

Can this be done? How?

First, please don't cross-post. Many people read all of the newsgroups you
posted to, and will see your message several times.

Second, no, Web Services are about XML, so they'll return XML.

Egghead

Hi here,

It is bad to crosspost :mad:

Just off my head : you know the tag already why not just decode it, or you
can use the soap tool kits <- a compact framework ??, or you have a .Net COM
dll connects to the web service. You have so many solutions for the problem.

Guest

It's very simple: open the file, read
the file into a byte array, and return the byte array. I just want the
byte array...not the rest of the XML stuff surrounding the byte array.

If you want a straight byte array - create a socket server.

With web services, take a look at MTOM - it allows you to transfer large
files efficently over WS. It's part of WSE 3.0.