File transfers

SRam

What is the limit of syswrite function. How can I convert an image
from binary mode so as to store it in a buffer and send it to client
and the client has to again decode the same to display the image

Brian McCauley

Subject: File transfers
What is the limit of syswrite function.

It does what it does. It does not make tea or wash the dishes.

What did you really mean?

You you mean what is the largest number of bytes that you can assume
will be sent by a single syswrite()? This is dependant on many
factors and it not something you should ever depend on for
character-stream based filedescriptors.
How can I convert an image from binary mode

What do you mean by "convert an image from binary mode" you mean into
a text based image format like XPM or PDF?
so as to store it in a buffer

What does this have to do with anything above. What do you mean by
buffer? Do you mean scalar variable or do you mean something else.
and send it to client

"Client"? Where has any client/server architecture been mentioned.
and the client has to again decode the same to display the image

All images need some kind of "decoding" before they are displayed.
Are you really talking about encryption? Are you really talking about
compression?

I think you have a problem partitioning proplem. You have a large
problem and you have picked a few random half-phrases from diffent
parts of the problem and strung them together. They do not form a
coherent description of anything.

--
\\ ( )
. _\\__[oo

Bob Walton

SRam said:
What is the limit of syswrite function. How can I convert an image
from binary mode so as to store it in a buffer and send it to client
and the client has to again decode the same to display the image

Have you considered FTP (File Transfer Protocol)? You can do it from
perl if you

use Net::FTP;

That is all set up, clients and servers are built-in or available for
most any platform, and you don't have to mess around with syswrite or
any low-level protocol/socket/etc stuff at all. Be sure to use FTP in
its "binary" mode if you are transmitting an image between two different
types of machines (*nix <-> Windoze, for example).