File Upload and File Size Limitations

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Robert Strickland, Oct 29, 2004.

  1. What is the default file size limit when uploading a file and can the
    administrator up that limited when needed?
    Robert Strickland, Oct 29, 2004

  2. You can add or modify the following section in your web.config file:

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="4096" />
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    The above value (4096 KB) is the default maximum upload file size.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Oct 30, 2004

  3. Robert Strickland

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] wrote:
    > You can add or modify the following section in your web.config file:
    >
    > <configuration>
    > <system.web>
    > <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="4096" />
    > </system.web>
    > </configuration>
    >
    > The above value (4096 KB) is the default maximum upload file size.

    It's also important to note that the current implementation buffers the
    entire uploaded file in memory, which means it's not suitable for uploading
    large files.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss
    www.joergjooss.de
    Joerg Jooss, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Is there any code or suggested method of uploading large files? We may have
    to upload files over a gig is length?

    Robert Strickland, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Robert Strickland

    Joe Fallon Guest

    There are 3rd party utilities you can buy that can break up the file into
    chunks and upload a piece at a time.
    They also can provide you with the "impossible to display normally" -
    progress bar.

    There was long thread posted a year or more ago that described how to solve
    this problem yourself.
    The issue is the posters only provided 80% of the code and then "went
    private" and sold the rights to these utility companies. If you are
    competent enough then you could write your own but...

    --
    Joe Fallon

    Joe Fallon, Oct 30, 2004
  6. There are some good 3rd party tools out there that help with uploading very
    large files.
    Here are a couple:
    http://fileup.softartisans.com/fileup-231.aspx
    http://fileup.softartisans.com/fileup-131.aspx

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Oct 30, 2004
  7. You'll also need to set larger the timeout value in order to upload very
    large files.
    (It can take a few hours to upload gigabytes of files for broadband users,
    let alone the 56k dialup users.)

    "Robert Strickland" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news: ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    Lau Lei Cheong, Nov 1, 2004