File upload errors when exe on Input type = file control

Brian Henry

When I use the file upload control <input type = file> and try to upload an
exe file it errors, how do i get it to allow exe file uploads so I can
display a frendly warrning message about they might be dangerous? thanks!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brian,

From your description, you got some certain error when uploading "exe" file
using the HtmlInputFile control in asp.net web application ,yes?

As far as I know, there is no buildin checking on the uploading file's type
in asp.net and generally we need to provide our checking code, such as
client validaiton script code, here is a tech article which has mentioned
this:

#Uploading Files Using the File Field Control
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspnet-fileupload.asp?fr
ame=true#aspnet-fileupload_topic2c

and as for the error you get, would you provide some detailed information
on it ? Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support