    At this point I only care if it works in IE, for that matter I only
    really care if it works on the clients computer!

    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    Hywel Guest

    In article <z3NQc.13055$>, Jeff
    Thies says...
    > I've been in need of a file upload progress bar for some time (client
    > has service bureau).
    >
    > The only way to do this server side is ASP and the server has a 60
    > second timeout that can't be over ridden.
    >
    > So, who knows a client side solution, other than this:

    That's rubbish. It doesn't work in non-IE browsers.

    > At this point I only care if it works in IE, for that matter I only
    > really care if it works on the clients computer!

    That's a bit daft - is the client the only user that will be uploading
    files? Just fake it with an animated GIF, or try some server-side
    scripting that checks how much data has been written to the temporary
    file every so often before returning data to the browser. Of course,
    you'll need a separate window to do this.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/
    Hywel, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    Hywel wrote:
    > In article <z3NQc.13055$>, Jeff
    > Thies says...
    >
    >> I've been in need of a file upload progress bar for some time (client
    >>has service bureau).
    >>
    >> The only way to do this server side is ASP and the server has a 60
    >>second timeout that can't be over ridden.
    >>
    >> So, who knows a client side solution, other than this:

    > That's rubbish. It doesn't work in non-IE browsers.

    So??? Opera already has an upload progress built in, I think Safari
    does also. Unfortunately NS 7 doesn't, which is odd considering the
    excellent download manager, but this *is* an optional feature.

    A java app would probably work in NS7.

    Getting this to work in IE will satisfy my client and 95% of the world
    at large.

    >> At this point I only care if it works in IE, for that matter I only
    >>really care if it works on the clients computer!

    > That's a bit daft - is the client the only user that will be uploading
    > files? Just fake it with an animated GIF,

    I've tried that already, client wants more.

    or try some server-side
    > scripting that checks how much data has been written to the temporary
    > file every so often before returning data to the browser.

    Can't be done in CGI, perl or PHP. I've tried every convoluted approach
    I could think of including trying to read the CGI temp file. Can only be
    done ASP, not ASP.net. You missed my second paragraph.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Jeff Thies

    Hywel Guest

    In article <v7PQc.2585$>, Jeff
    Thies says...
    > Hywel wrote:
    > > In article <z3NQc.13055$>, Jeff
    > > Thies says...
    > >
    > >> I've been in need of a file upload progress bar for some time (client
    > >>has service bureau).
    > >>
    > >> The only way to do this server side is ASP and the server has a 60
    > >>second timeout that can't be over ridden.
    > >>
    > >> So, who knows a client side solution, other than this:

    > > That's rubbish. It doesn't work in non-IE browsers.

    And it requires a plug-in. Are users really so dumb that they'll allow
    any old web site to install software for them?

    > So??? Opera already has an upload progress built in, I think Safari
    > does also. Unfortunately NS 7 doesn't, which is odd considering the
    > excellent download manager, but this *is* an optional feature.
    >
    > A java app would probably work in NS7.
    >
    > Getting this to work in IE will satisfy my client and 95% of the world
    > at large.

    Where did you get that statistic?

    > >> At this point I only care if it works in IE, for that matter I only
    > >>really care if it works on the clients computer!

    > > That's a bit daft - is the client the only user that will be uploading
    > > files? Just fake it with an animated GIF,

    > I've tried that already, client wants more.

    Tell them, "Tough". You're there to consult with them and to give them
    the benefit of your knowledge.

    > or try some server-side
    > > scripting that checks how much data has been written to the temporary
    > > file every so often before returning data to the browser.

    > Can't be done in CGI, perl or PHP. I've tried every convoluted approach
    > I could think of including trying to read the CGI temp file. Can only be
    > done ASP, not ASP.net. You missed my second paragraph.

    Then write and ASP script that checks the temporary file.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/
    Hywel, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Jeff Thies

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <v7PQc.2585$>,
    says...

    > > That's rubbish. It doesn't work in non-IE browsers.

    > So??? Opera already has an upload progress built in, I think Safari
    > does also. Unfortunately NS 7 doesn't, which is odd considering the
    > excellent download manager, but this *is* an optional feature.

    I thought NN7+ learned how to use ActiveX and supports live connect.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Aug 6, 2004
  6. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > And it requires a plug-in. Are users really so dumb that they'll allow
    > any old web site to install software for them?

    Why are we arguing? I don't want to use a activeX or a java app, I'm
    just out of options. I would prefer a better solution either server or
    client side or I wouldn't have asked. I really thought someone else
    would have a client side option.

    Apparently their clients are demanding a file progress and I made the
    mistake of implementing this on a server I have more control over.

    Frankly I see activeX controlls all over the place. Lots of sites use
    them. Personally I have them turned off but I doubt that is usually the
    case and if their clients don't want to they don't have to.

    > Tell them, "Tough". You're there to consult with them and to give them
    > the benefit of your knowledge.

    Not my call. I've been trying to get around this for a looong time.

    >>Can't be done in CGI, perl or PHP. I've tried every convoluted approach
    >>I could think of including trying to read the CGI temp file. Can only be
    >>done ASP, not ASP.net. You missed my second paragraph.

    > Then write and ASP script that checks the temporary file.

    Can't because server has a 60 second timeout that I can't override. In
    ASP the script has to execute as long as the upload is in progress which
    is why you can do this in ASP but not other environments.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Jeff Thies

    Hywel Guest

    In article <wTZQc.4242$>, Jeff
    Thies says...
    > >>Can't be done in CGI, perl or PHP. I've tried every convoluted approach
    > >>I could think of including trying to read the CGI temp file. Can only be
    > >>done ASP, not ASP.net. You missed my second paragraph.

    > > Then write and ASP script that checks the temporary file.

    > Can't because server has a 60 second timeout that I can't override. In
    > ASP the script has to execute as long as the upload is in progress which
    > is why you can do this in ASP but not other environments.

    If the server times out after 60 seconds then surely it will terminate
    the script. Does the ASP start executing before the file upload has
    completed, or does it wait until it's received the data and then start
    doing to processing? I'm not sure, but I suspect it's the latter.

    If your client will absolutely not budge on this, use an ActiveX with
    proper alternative for other browsers. If your client will not move on
    this then they'll have to deal with users that deny ActiveX
    installation.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/
    Hywel, Aug 7, 2004
  8. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > If the server times out after 60 seconds then surely it will terminate
    > the script. Does the ASP start executing before the file upload has
    > completed, or does it wait until it's received the data and then start
    > doing to processing? I'm not sure, but I suspect it's the latter.

    It's the former. It's the only environment that does that and is why you
    can do a progress bar in ASP and no where else.

    Frankly I think that is a very stupid way of doing things but it does
    have that single advantage.

    > If your client will absolutely not budge on this, use an ActiveX with
    > proper alternative for other browsers.

    Which is what I've been saying all along. So I take it that the only
    control you know of is the one I found?

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 7, 2004
  9. Jeff Thies

    Dave Patton Guest

    Jeff Thies <> wrote in

    > I've been in need of a file upload progress bar for some time (client
    > has service bureau).
    >
    > The only way to do this server side is ASP and the server has a 60
    > second timeout that can't be over ridden.

    It's not clear if you are saying that the only server-side
    scripting language available is ASP. If you can use PHP:
    http://www.raditha.com/php/progress.php

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Aug 7, 2004
  10. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    Dave Patton wrote:
    > Jeff Thies <> wrote in
    >

    >> I've been in need of a file upload progress bar for some time (client
    >>has service bureau).
    >>
    >> The only way to do this server side is ASP and the server has a 60
    >>second timeout that can't be over ridden.

    > It's not clear if you are saying that the only server-side
    > scripting language available is ASP. If you can use PHP:
    > http://www.raditha.com/php/progress.php

    Thanks.

    As it turns out this does *not* work. What it does is aquire the file
    normally and then use sleep to slowly write it to disk. It's actually a
    file save progress indicator rather than a file upload progress
    indicator. I tried it months ago...

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 7, 2004