file upload progress IE

Jeff Thies

I've been in need of a file upload progress bar for some time (client
has service bureau).

The only way to do this server side is ASP and the server has a 60
second timeout that can't be over ridden.

So, who knows a client side solution, other than this:

At this point I only care if it works in IE, for that matter I only
really care if it works on the clients computer!

Jeff

Hywel

Jeff said:
I've been in need of a file upload progress bar for some time (client
has service bureau).

The only way to do this server side is ASP and the server has a 60
second timeout that can't be over ridden.

So, who knows a client side solution, other than this:

That's rubbish. It doesn't work in non-IE browsers.

At this point I only care if it works in IE, for that matter I only
really care if it works on the clients computer!

That's a bit daft - is the client the only user that will be uploading
files? Just fake it with an animated GIF, or try some server-side
scripting that checks how much data has been written to the temporary
file every so often before returning data to the browser. Of course,
you'll need a separate window to do this.

Jeff Thies

Hywel said:
That's rubbish. It doesn't work in non-IE browsers.

So??? Opera already has an upload progress built in, I think Safari
does also. Unfortunately NS 7 doesn't, which is odd considering the
excellent download manager, but this *is* an optional feature.

A java app would probably work in NS7.

Getting this to work in IE will satisfy my client and 95% of the world
at large.
That's a bit daft - is the client the only user that will be uploading
files? Just fake it with an animated GIF,

I've tried that already, client wants more.

or try some server-side
scripting that checks how much data has been written to the temporary
file every so often before returning data to the browser.

Can't be done in CGI, perl or PHP. I've tried every convoluted approach
I could think of including trying to read the CGI temp file. Can only be
done ASP, not ASP.net. You missed my second paragraph.

Jeff

Of course,

Hywel

And it requires a plug-in. Are users really so dumb that they'll allow
any old web site to install software for them?
So??? Opera already has an upload progress built in, I think Safari
does also. Unfortunately NS 7 doesn't, which is odd considering the
excellent download manager, but this *is* an optional feature.

A java app would probably work in NS7.

Getting this to work in IE will satisfy my client and 95% of the world
at large.

Where did you get that statistic?

I've tried that already, client wants more.

Tell them, "Tough". You're there to consult with them and to give them
the benefit of your knowledge.

or try some server-side

Can't be done in CGI, perl or PHP. I've tried every convoluted approach
I could think of including trying to read the CGI temp file. Can only be
done ASP, not ASP.net. You missed my second paragraph.

Then write and ASP script that checks the temporary file.

Webcastmaker

So??? Opera already has an upload progress built in, I think Safari
does also. Unfortunately NS 7 doesn't, which is odd considering the
excellent download manager, but this *is* an optional feature.

I thought NN7+ learned how to use ActiveX and supports live connect.

Jeff Thies

And it requires a plug-in. Are users really so dumb that they'll allow
any old web site to install software for them?

Why are we arguing? I don't want to use a activeX or a java app, I'm
just out of options. I would prefer a better solution either server or
client side or I wouldn't have asked. I really thought someone else
would have a client side option.

Apparently their clients are demanding a file progress and I made the
mistake of implementing this on a server I have more control over.

Frankly I see activeX controlls all over the place. Lots of sites use
them. Personally I have them turned off but I doubt that is usually the
case and if their clients don't want to they don't have to.
Tell them, "Tough". You're there to consult with them and to give them
the benefit of your knowledge.

Not my call. I've been trying to get around this for a looong time.

Then write and ASP script that checks the temporary file.

Can't because server has a 60 second timeout that I can't override. In
ASP the script has to execute as long as the upload is in progress which
is why you can do this in ASP but not other environments.

Jeff

Hywel

Jeff said:
Can't because server has a 60 second timeout that I can't override. In
ASP the script has to execute as long as the upload is in progress which
is why you can do this in ASP but not other environments.

If the server times out after 60 seconds then surely it will terminate
the script. Does the ASP start executing before the file upload has
completed, or does it wait until it's received the data and then start
doing to processing? I'm not sure, but I suspect it's the latter.

If your client will absolutely not budge on this, use an ActiveX with
proper alternative for other browsers. If your client will not move on
this then they'll have to deal with users that deny ActiveX
installation.

Jeff Thies

If the server times out after 60 seconds then surely it will terminate
the script. Does the ASP start executing before the file upload has
completed, or does it wait until it's received the data and then start
doing to processing? I'm not sure, but I suspect it's the latter.

It's the former. It's the only environment that does that and is why you
can do a progress bar in ASP and no where else.

Frankly I think that is a very stupid way of doing things but it does
have that single advantage.
If your client will absolutely not budge on this, use an ActiveX with
proper alternative for other browsers.

Which is what I've been saying all along. So I take it that the only
control you know of is the one I found?

Jeff

If your client will not move on

Dave Patton

I've been in need of a file upload progress bar for some time (client
has service bureau).

The only way to do this server side is ASP and the server has a 60
second timeout that can't be over ridden.

It's not clear if you are saying that the only server-side
scripting language available is ASP. If you can use PHP:
http://www.raditha.com/php/progress.php

Jeff Thies

Dave said:
It's not clear if you are saying that the only server-side
scripting language available is ASP. If you can use PHP:
http://www.raditha.com/php/progress.php

Thanks.

As it turns out this does *not* work. What it does is aquire the file
normally and then use sleep to slowly write it to disk. It's actually a
file save progress indicator rather than a file upload progress
indicator. I tried it months ago...

Cheers,
Jeff