File upload - receive side only

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Pavils Jurjans, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I have the following setup:

    The page that contains the form with file upolad HTML control resides on
    another server that doesn't have ASP.NET available. It may well be just
    static HTML.

    I need to program the "receiving side" of the upload. Preferrably, I'd be
    happy with soultion that doesn't involve webforms controls, not to make
    things complex. I want to avoid the webforms control also because I want to
    have better understanding how the uploaded file is handled in the
    server-side, and in what format it is available for developer. Please
    understand me right - I've been programming pure JScript (classic ASP) file
    upload solution, that not just properly handles the incoming POST request
    with muliple files, but also is able to update upload progress in the
    database so that the user doing the upload has some feeling of progress of
    the transfer. So, I know the guts of what happens when file upload happens.
    I am wondering do I have to recode the ASP.NET file upload server-side code
    to achieve the same goals - being able to update upload progress in the
    database (so that another script can display the progress), and having pure
    byte stream in hands for further handling? Maybe I can intercept the POST
    request handling in some lower level, before the control gets to the Render
    method of the child of System.Web.UI.Page?

    Rgds,

    Pavils

    Pavils Jurjans, Mar 28, 2006

  2. This asp.net not get help for anything.

    =?Utf-8?B?RFdT?=, Mar 28, 2006

  3. take a look at some of the ihttpmodule upload examples (google it), it will
    give you an idea of how an upload works when it reaches serverside.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    Microsoft MVP

    John Timney \( MVP \), Mar 28, 2006
  4. Pavils,
    Maybe I was kinda hard on my last response but webservice it across to
    asp.net server. You can look at the ihttphandler all you want to but thats
    advanced coding and you didn't even want to use a form.

    Good Luck
    DWS

    =?Utf-8?B?RFdT?=, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Pavils Jurjans

    Guest

    My NeatUpload 1.2 component [1] has support for doing *most* of what
    you want. It's probably easiest to use its controls but it's
    possible to upload without them. If you are just trying to avoid
    putting ASP.NET on a static HTML page, the simplest solution is
    probably to put an iframe in your static HTML page and display an
    ASP.NET page within the iframe.

    If you really want to avoid using web forms controls entirely, with
    NeatUpload you'll need to add a special query param to your form's
    action URL [2] and you'll need to write a custom UploadStorageProvider
    [3] that can tell NeatUpload where to put each uploaded file.

    The one thing that NeatUpload doesn't currently support is storing the
    progress info in a DB. It is currently held in application state and
    is only available via a web page. However the format of that web page
    can be customized [4] so that you could, for example, return an XML
    document that your app parsed to get the progress info.

    Also, since NeatUpload is open source you can modify it to suit your
    needs or examine the source code to get a better understanding of how
    it works.

    Hope that helps,
    --Dean