File Upload Size

rodmc

Hi,

Is there a way to get the size of a file on a remote machine before it
is uploaded? I would like to write some form of status counter which
is updated as a fie is uploaded, and also to use this feature to
prevent files which are too big from being uploaded.

Best,

rod

Diez B. Roggisch

rodmc said:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for this information I will look at it. The only condition is
that everything must run via a webpage.

Which is crucial information and rules out Mike's suggestion.

And the answer is: no, you can't access file-attributes on remote machines.
HTTP does require a content-length header though. If that exceeds a certain
size, you can terminate the connection.

You need to do that also if the client actually pushes more data than
announced.

And progress-counting can be done by counting the already arrived data &
making e.g. an Ajax-Call to fetch that from the server.

Diez

rodmc

Which is crucial information and rules out Mike's suggestion.

And the answer is: no, you can't access file-attributes on remote machines.
HTTP does require a content-length header though. If that exceeds a certain
size, you can terminate the connection.

You need to do that also if the client actually pushes more data than
announced.

And progress-counting can be done by counting the already arrived data &
making e.g. an Ajax-Call to fetch that from the server.

Diez

Thanks. I have basic file uploading working, however is there a limit
to what can be uploaded via form? It works perfectly for up to around
20MB then breaks. Also how do I retrieve the content-length header? I
am quite new to HTTP programming so sorry for the naive questiomn.

Best,

rod

Diez B. Roggisch

Thanks. I have basic file uploading working, however is there a limit
to what can be uploaded via form? It works perfectly for up to around
20MB then breaks.

There is no limit, but the larger the upload, the larger the chance of a
failure. I'm currently not exactly sure if there is a way to overcome
this with a continuous upload scheme for browsers - maybe google helps.
Also how do I retrieve the content-length header? I
am quite new to HTTP programming so sorry for the naive questiomn.

That depends on your HTTP-framework/libraries of choice.

Diez

rodmc

Hi Diez,

Thanks, I will look on Google again, to date though all examples I
have used come up against similar problems. As for HTTP framework and
libraries, I will see what is currently supported. At present I am
using standard Python libraries.

Best,

rod