File Uploads

Buddy Ackerman

I'm have Windows 2000 Server and my website allows uploads of files (using <input type="file">) However I have some
problems when a user trys to upload a large (>8MB) file. When the user submits the form within about 5 seconds an error
message is returned (in FireFox it says "the document contains no data" in IE 6 it just redirects to a page that says
the "the page cannot be found". When I look in my webserver log it shows a 400 error. Of course this problem doesn't
happen with all users either. Is there any way to actually troubleshoot these problems? My web app is developed with
..NET but it doesn't appear that that is in anyway the problem since the error is returned so quickly. The file is not
even getting uploaded in that amount of time. I really need to get this fixed any help is appreciated (I don't want to
use a client side control to do the uploads since I have to support very unsophisticated users and several different
browsers on Mac, Windows, and Linux).

--Buddy

Buddy Ackerman

I forgot to mention that I've set the size to 15MB, so it's not the maxRequestlength that's the problem. However that
raises a question. How does ASP.NET know the fils size? Does the client send the file size in the header? If so maybe
the client browser is sending the wrong file size or maybe it's not send the file size and that's causing it to fail.
The problem is that I wouldn't expect it to throw a 400 error back to the user. I've seen what happens when you try to
upload a file that's larger than the maxRequestlength and it's a nasty ASP.NET runtime error screen.

Also, as I said in the original post it's not a problem for everyone. I don't have the problem when I upload files and
the user that had the problem was using Windows XP and tried it with both IE and FireFox.

--Buddy