File.utime returns Invalid argument on Windows (winXP, ruby 1.8.5/1.8.6).

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Matt Scilipoti, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. I am receiving an "Invalid argument" error from File.utime.

    irb> testfile = 'd:/temp/2007/06/test.txt'
    => "d:/temp/2007/06/test.txt"
    irb> File.utime(0, Time.now, testfile)
    Errno::EINVAL: Invalid argument - d:/temp/2007/06/test.txt
    from (irb):4:in `utime'
    from (irb):4
    irb> File.exist?(testfile)
    => true
    irb> File.writable?(testfile)
    => true

    My local user group suggested:
    irb> require 'time'
    => false

    False?

    I tried this on two computers:
    | WinXP SP2 | WinXP SP2 |
    | Ruby 1.8.6 | 1.8.5 |
    | NTFS | FAT32 |

    A friend has these same specs, but it works for him.
    Google for 'ruby, windows, File.utime, "Invalid Argument"' (and various versions
    of this) doesn't help. It does appear in a nice Ruby poetry jam.

    Any ideas?
    Matt Scilipoti, Jun 5, 2007

  2. On Jun 5, 11:55 am, "Matt Scilipoti" <>
    wrote:
    > I am receiving an "Invalid argument" error from File.utime.
    >
    > irb> testfile = 'd:/temp/2007/06/test.txt'
    > => "d:/temp/2007/06/test.txt"
    > irb> File.utime(0, Time.now, testfile)
    > Errno::EINVAL: Invalid argument - d:/temp/2007/06/test.txt
    > from (irb):4:in `utime'
    > from (irb):4
    > irb> File.exist?(testfile)
    > => true
    > irb> File.writable?(testfile)
    > => true

    Is D: a hard disk? Or is it a CDROM, usb drive, etc? Hey, gotta ask.

    > My local user group suggested:
    > irb> require 'time'
    > => false
    >
    > False?

    Unrelated. It means it was already loaded, probably by rubygems. An
    actual failure would raise an error.

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Solved (mostly), thanks to:

    Nicholas Evans, who suggested that Windows may not accept a date of 0
    (the first param sets access time). It doesn't. I knew that. Bad
    brain. Thanks for asking an "is it plugged in" type of question.

    Daniel Berger, for reminding me that "require 'x' -> false" doesn't
    mean "we can't find 'x'" - it just means that it is ALREADY required.
    I knew that too. Funny how, in this context, I easily accepted an
    incorrect translation of the results, because it was corroborating
    evidence - exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for another "is
    it plugged in?" question. Yes, D: drive is a hard drive. :)

    Why "mostly"? This code is derived from a battery of tests for a
    project in a User Group. These tests pass for another Windows user.
    We will investigate next meeting.

    Thanks to all,
    Matt

    Matt Scilipoti, Jun 6, 2007