FileIOPermission Help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Dave, Oct 18, 2008.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Yesterday I posted:

    ****************************
    I'm trying to download a file from the Web Server to the user's
    desktop using myWebClient.DownloadFile as described by Microsoft at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ez801hhe.aspx.

    2 Questions:

    1.) Is this the best approach?
    2.) Is there a way to have the default download location as the
    User's Desktop?

    ****************************

    One thing that I just noticed at the bottom of the MSDN article, and
    could explain why it's not working, is:
    "FileIOPermission to write the file fileName. Associated enumeration:
    Write."

    Since I'm not sure how to apply the FileIOPermission example, and the
    Write link doesn't work in English...Can someone give me a hand on how
    apply this?

    My code is:

    try
    {
    string remoteUri = @"http://JCPS/TechVault/Vault/";
    string fileName =
    FileListGridView.SelectedValue.ToString(), myStringWebResource = null;
    WebClient myWebClient = new WebClient();
    myStringWebResource = remoteUri + fileName;
    myWebClient.DownloadFile(myStringWebResource, fileName);

    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
    lblStatus.Text = ex.Message;
    }

    ****************************
    Thanks

    (Please no Advertisements for something to buy)

    Dave, Oct 18, 2008

  2. Dave

    bruce barker Guest

    remember the download is happening on the server, so the path you
    specify must be accessible from server, and access granted to the app
    pool account. generally this account is pretty locked down, and by
    default is a local machine account with no network permissions.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Oct 18, 2008

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I don't have any problem with making the environments as secure as
    possible. Is there a way to prompt the user to whether or not they
    want to Open or Save the file? It would seem to me that that would
    satisfy the whole problem.

    Dave, Oct 19, 2008