filename without extension in URL query

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Joe, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Joe, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Joe

    Steven Burn Guest

    custom error pages and/or ISAPI filters.

    Custom 404's
    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2162

    ISAPI
    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2216
    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2232

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Joe

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:26:25 -0800, "Joe" <> wrote:

    >If I have a search submit button, when I click submit button, it will submit
    >the form to search.asp for form processing.
    >This will be the URL: http://www.mycompany.com/search.asp?q=programming
    >
    >But when I do search in google, search doesn't have any file extension. How
    >do they do that? I saw some site are like that too.
    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google Search
    >
    >Please advise. thanks!!

    First, use your fifty billion in stock sales to hire a team of
    programmers to rewrite a web server to your needs... :)

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Joe

    Gold Guest

    Normally if you are typing an URL like this

    http://www.mycomany.com

    IIS will try to find a default.htm or default.aspx depending on the
    settings, then if it is available it will be sent to the client,So

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google Search

    in this case search is not a filename it is a directory, so all the query
    string variables are passed to the default.aspx (assume it is implemented in
    asp.net) file in that directoty.

    Gold, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Joe

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > If I have a search submit button, when I click submit button, it will submit
    > the form to search.asp for form processing.
    > This will be the URL: http://www.mycompany.com/search.asp?q=programming
    >
    > But when I do search in google, search doesn't have any file extension. How
    > do they do that? I saw some site are like that too.
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google Search
    >
    > Please advise. thanks!!

    Google doesn't run on IIS. The "search" at Google might be
    an executable. If the webserver runs on Unix (any flavor)
    then executables usually do not have extensions.

    --
    Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Joe

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > If I have a search submit button, when I click submit button, it will
    > submit the form to search.asp for form processing.
    > This will be the url:
    > http://www.mycompany.com/search.asp?q=programming
    >
    > But when I do search in google, search doesn't have any file
    > extension. How do they do that? I saw some site are like that too.
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google Search

    The necessity to use (or work around) file extensions is imposed by
    IIS. Java Servlets for example can easily work exclusively with paths
    and path information.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:

    Joerg Jooss, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Joe

    teknohippy Guest

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 05:07:02 -0800, "Gold"
    <> wrote:

    >Normally if you are typing an URL like this
    >
    >http://www.mycomany.com
    >
    >IIS will try to find a default.htm or default.aspx depending on the
    >settings, then if it is available it will be sent to the client,So
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming&btnG=Google Search
    >
    >in this case search is not a filename it is a directory, so all the query
    >string variables are passed to the default.aspx (assume it is implemented in
    >asp.net) file in that directoty.

    That's what I'd have thought as the most obvious way to replicate it.

    Everyone else seemed to just start IIS/Microsoft bashing :)

    Iain Norman | http://www.eliteforum.org

    teknohippy, Feb 7, 2005